wood burning stove...

oldschoolsdime92

yea...i built mine. out of a old 55 gallon water heater...OLDSCHOOL. steel 1/4 in. thick walls. Imagine a HEAVY DUTY barrel stove and thats what i got. Even found a old stove door for free. Stove cost me $0, firebrick $40, and stovepipe $200. Plus welding supplies.

haha. thanks for the heads up Gump! I have looked at those propane style heaters like that, as well. I have one of these, but with my bigger garage its not cutting it. http://common1.csnimages.com/lf/1/hash/862/2898064/1/DuraHeat%2BConvection%2BKerosene%2BHeater.jpg

How long does a tank last you? If i could use that just to get my garage to temp and then let the kerosene take over.

They are really easy, to set up. Main thing is to get the vent set up right, and shouldn't have any problems with it.

A few people down here use them to heat houses through the winter. Put out a good bit of heat, just sucks having to deal with all the wood. I have a friend that is heating his house with one, however he has 90 acres to get the wood from.

Just have to keep the pipes clean. I know people that use them year around, to do their hot water and all that good stuff.

haha. thanks for the heads up Gump! I have looked at those propane style heaters like that, as well. I have one of these, but with my bigger garage its not cutting it. http://common1.csnimages.com/lf/1/hash/862/2898064/1/DuraHeat%2BConvection%2BKerosene%2BHeater.jpg

How long does a tank last you? If i could use that just to get my garage to temp and then let the kerosene take over.

"They" claim 14hrs on low. In my old house the 2 car garage was attached and insulated so all i had to do was really leave it on high for about 15-20 mins. Just to warm up the garage. Then i would just turn it down just so the pilot was on. About every hour you would have to turn it back up for 5mins or so.

My garage now is bigger, not insulated and unattached. Basically the same process but i have to turn it back on more often. I can still stay toasty even on really cold days.

How long will it last? I have never really payed much attention but my semi-educated guess would be in the new garage it would last atleast the weekend. With a good bit of time spent in the garage.

In the old house it seemd to last forever. Being the garage was well insulated unlike mine now. If you garage is even some what insulated you will be working in t-shirt and shorts.

Like i said come borrow it and see if you like it. I dont have any plans on using it anytime soon.