2011 brammo empulse

fizzer

http://www.brammo.com/empulse/

For those desire a quick video summary...

Sure the range is limited, and who knows how they've tuned it but I'm excited to see the development over the next few years by this and other companies. Decent looking bike given the constraints of the electric drivetrain.

When I first saw these I was pumped on them for the price that was quoted, turns out that price included every possible government incentive they could find and was actually only legitimate some random place in CO.

As for a neat track day gimmick, I was curious if they could potentially run a 20 minutes per hour duty cycle, and that answer is no - recharge times are pretty ridiculous.

I like the looks, reminds me of a Monster. I dunno how the riding "feeling" would be though, without the sounds, vibration, and feel of a motor sitting below you I think the total riding experience would be somewhat diminished and make you feel like you were riding a real stylish scooter.

When I first saw these I was pumped on them for the price that was quoted, turns out that price included every possible government incentive they could find and was actually only legitimate some random place in CO.

As for a neat track day gimmick, I was curious if they could potentially run a 20 minutes per hour duty cycle, and that answer is no - recharge times are pretty ridiculous.

No taking long trips on this thing only 100 mile range. Unless the add some solar panels or regenerative breaking to boost the battery life.

Alright, I'll play the token liberal card and use some of my liberal ideas/education on this stuff.

I'm wondering why we can't use a GOV'T organization of standards, to come up with standard battery sizes for e-bikes, and e-cars. By standardizing these products they'd become cheaper through volume. Then for those with "range anxiety" for their full electric vehicles, these battery packs would run like the propane exchange does at gas stations.

Pull in, swap your pack, drive away. You'd just pay for the electricity to charge + overhead/profit for the gas station. Of course there's a core charge if take a pack without exchanging it -- you make that core charge high enough that would REALLY be a disincentive to lose it.

Granted, because the tech is so new and changes so often, there might be some snags in the process, but I think a standardized connector and "envelope" for the battery pack could be designed for these vehicles to future-proof them at least for a little while. :dunno:

As far as recharge times go, I bet someone with some electrical prowess could easily rig up a 220v charging system and get those recharge times down. Also, on their race bike I believe they had quick swappable batteries(either this company or one of the other leading EV race bike teams did), so that may be technology that trickles down to their standard range if people are interested in racing these at track days.

I don't think solar panels would do much for such a bike, you have limited surface area and the return in terms of added charge capacity would likely be very low. The regenerative braking thing is another option, but that also adds a relatively low extension of range. The key to range extension will be battery tech and how you ride it.

Instant torque sure sounds fun to me though...:D but then again... I ride an I4 so I wouldn't know much about that:(