$1.50US/gallon synthetic gas a reality?

modular

Cool post, buuuuuuuutt....

The Cella Energy place is making awful big claims, and the article doesn't have a lot of underlying data/engineering with it. Where does the $1.50/gallon figure come from? What is the source material? How abundant is it? I get that it's Hydrogen-based, but there's obviously more to the process. How can you develop something for years in secret? -- with todays 24hr news cycle and tech leaks, I would think their suppliers or contractors would've figured it out and leaked it. Then, I'd want to look at their financials, are they hurting for cash? This could be a "press bump" to get more investor funds...

So, again, thanks for sharing, it's cool and I'm rooting for it, but I'll believe it when I see it - kinda like cold fusion.

i doubt it will take off. To engineer a fuel to combust the same way as gasoline does, and work in a regular engine... That is completely unlike a hydrocarbon, that just doesn't make sense.

It might not "require" engine modification, but I doubt catalytic converters will be needed, and I also seriously doubt it will require the same AFR as regular gasoline...

Cool post, buuuuuuuutt....

The Cella Energy place is making awful big claims, and the article doesn't have a lot of underlying data/engineering with it. Where does the $1.50/gallon figure come from? What is the source material? How abundant is it? I get that it's Hydrogen-based, but there's obviously more to the process. How can you develop something for years in secret? -- with todays 24hr news cycle and tech leaks, I would think their suppliers or contractors would've figured it out and leaked it. Then, I'd want to look at their financials, are they hurting for cash? This could be a "press bump" to get more investor funds...

So, again, thanks for sharing, it's cool and I'm rooting for it, but I'll believe it when I see it - kinda like cold fusion.

Bingo. See also - Moller Skycar, algae fuel

i think algae fuel is a step in the right direction...its so easy to produce, and the stuff can be grown anywhere...i would like to see this technology evolve

Sounds like a decent idea but high hopes on the manufactures to research ways on how to adapt the new fuel to run in the cars. Not sure what mods will need to be done to accomplish that.

Sounds like a decent idea but high hopes on the manufactures to research ways on how to adapt the new fuel to run in the cars. Not sure what mods will need to be done to accomplish that.

the fuel algae makes will be a direct replacement of gas - theyre oil based and will run just like normal gasoline

the only problem with algae fuel would be making enough of it to keep up with our needs

If it is true, it will still be years out. First the government has to approve it, and we all know oil companies will not let that happen. Second they will need to build places to make the stuff and I am would bet the EPA would have a lot to say on that as well.

the fuel algae makes will be a direct replacement of gas - theyre oil based and will run just like normal gasoline

the only problem with algae fuel would be making enough of it to keep up with our needs

That was another concern with the need for algae farms on a massive scale to meet the need of daily use. That's a lot of algae how much just to make a gallon?

If it is true, it will still be years out. First the government has to approve it, and we all know oil companies will not let that happen. Second they will need to build places to make the stuff and I am would bet the EPA would have a lot to say on that as well.

the algae would be beneficial for the overall environment, and it would be grown in deserts and wastlelands where nothing else can grow.

waste water that is a pollutant now, would be pumped into algae ponds which would remove nitrogren and phosphate from the water and feed the algae

the EPA would love it

watch the video link i posted and it will explain the benefits of growing the algae for the environment itself

it is new technology - and theres no way it will hit large scale in the next few years. theres a lot more science and research that would go into it.

currently, the cost to produce it is about $20/gallon

they are predicting 3-5 years before it would even get to a usable price - but all new technology has to start somewhere

That was another concern with the need for algae farms on a massive scale to meet the need of daily use. That's a lot of algae how much just to make a gallon?

30-40 million acres to supply enough fuel for the united states

they say its doable because the algae can be grown anywhere...they say eventually they will be able to farm enough land for algae to supply fuel, without having to damage any existing land (by making use of deserts, and wastelands where nothing else can even grow)

The technology already exists to run your car on water but you don't see or hear about it being widely used.

theres a neat rally every year where people all get together and drive across the country on cars that are ran on alternative forms of energy...they have several of these hydrogen cars, a few biodiesels, etc...its neat to see modern average cars running in ways like this

..they have several of these hydrogen cars, a few biodiesels, etc...its neat to see modern average cars running in ways like this

If I didn't have a brand new car I'd try something like this. I'd like to try this

and possibly the magnet generators that you can supposedly build for your home. I like gadget stuff :p

Edited by SWing'R

its already going on such a large scale, that it cant be bought out by big oil. the only thing stopping it is that its new technology and hasnt been fully developed yet. its got years or testing and research still before it would even be ready for anything main stream.

they have made the fuels, they do work, but currently theyre testing which algaes grow best, how they fair in the real world vs the lab, etc...once its developed fully, they have to work on acquiring the land and building the facilities etc etc

if algae fuels take off, i would estimate it at least 15 years down the road before anything is being pumped into your tank

to say anything other than big oil will never work isnt that accurate...you can already buy bio diesel at the pump in california, and algae fuel would be used as a type of biodiesel

also, e85 is available at the pump now which uses very little oil

big oil will always have its place, even if we switched to 100% electric cars.....so many products are made from petroluem aside from just fuels

If I didn't have a brand new car I'd try something like this. I'd like to try this

and possibly the magnet generators that you can supposedly build for your home. I like gadget stuff :p

both would be interesting to try, although im skeptical on the magnet thing - it sounds good in theory kinda, but the website is too "as seen on tv" for me lol