Ar15

GSXRBirch

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm liking the stag 2t except the 16" barrel, I do like the 20" on the other one but want a collapsing stock and picatinny rails, I also want flip up front and rear sights. Im gonna put a scope on it due to wanting to do long distance target shooting.

Do yourself a favor and research putting together your own AR. It might be the better way for you to go. You're gonna fix the gun you get from a-b-c-d manufacture anyway so why not just build your own with the right parts right off the bat?

Start with this being your first part....

http://pact.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=34&Itemid=143

Next get your 20" and you'll soon be off to the races once you get the rest of your parts.

I will agree to the point of building it... But I will never tell you to purchase a trigger like that... Not from them nor timney or any other... Not until you have had the rifle for a while. Stock triggers are 15.00 so you are not out anything, really. If you want to upgrade later it is not that big of deal to do.

But, yes... Building is the best way to go. no fuss and you get exactly what you want and nothing you dont.

Thanks you all, I understand building is the best way for the options I want but manufacturer of the upper and lower and everything in between im not sure about. There's unlimited after market stuff for them. How do I know who to go with. I don't have experience with ARs, I know hand guns im going with another springfield or glock but as far as rifles im screwed. I know the basics of what I want.

Dude this could go on forever... I great place to start is a lower, Spikes tactical - DSA - Rock River Arms. Spikes Tactical has a nice one available at the time for 100.00. Then you can search for a lower parts kit. There are specific manufacturers that sell each piece individually and there are other companies that will allow you to swap out parts if you dont want/need them. Either model 1 sales or Delton would allow you to swap grips and triggers out to suit your build.

Stock that you want to use will determine what buffer and tube you need. If you are leaning toward a A2 stock or a PRS from Magpul you will need a A2 buffer and buffer spring and tube. If you are looking at colapsable you will need a C.A.R. or M4 style tube buffer and spring. The trick to these is that there is a commercial and a Mil-spec. The commercial is a little thicker on the sidewall.

Uppers... Buy one complete and ready to go... Look into multiple companies that sell them this way. The best I have found have been the Rock River Arms.

You are not the first guy that we have tried to steer this way! Or since a bike site, lean this way...

I'm liking the stag 2t except the 16" barrel, I do like the 20" on the other one but want a collapsing stock and picatinny rails, I also want flip up front and rear sights. Im gonna put a scope on it due to wanting to do long distance target shooting.

I have a Stag 2t..Love it.

I like the Stag 2t platform and am leaning that way but i'll probably just buy a 20" or 24" barrel for it. First im going to sit for several hours and do alot of research on parts if its going to be cheaper to build plus it will be how I want it without a doubt. I appreciate all your inputs, very helpful. :bow:

I will agree to the point of building it... But I will never tell you to purchase a trigger like that... Not from them nor timney or any other... Not until you have had the rifle for a while. Stock triggers are 15.00 so you are not out anything, really. If you want to upgrade later it is not that big of deal to do.

But, yes... Building is the best way to go. no fuss and you get exactly what you want and nothing you dont.

You're absolutely right. I should'nt have recomended something like that right off but just speaking from past expierience, a nice trigger right off the bat is sweetness. What I should have recomended is dont skimp on the trigger and get one that you've heard...or felt good things with....I'm gonna go finger my new Benelli now.(I had one of those "Had to Have" moments at the show yesterday) :cool:

You're absolutely right. I should'nt have recomended something like that right off but just speaking from past expierience, a nice trigger right off the bat is sweetness. What I should have recomended is dont skimp on the trigger and get one that you've heard...or felt good things with....I'm gonna go finger my new Benelli now.(I had one of those "Had to Have" moments at the show yesterday) :cool:

Fully understand... But, I hate to see people jump into a 300.00 trigger system in the beginning stages of their builds, well for the most part. I have picked a lot of parts up cheap when they realize after they spent 300 on a trigger and 100 on a lower and 65-70 on a lower parts kit that they are out of funds and cant afford their upper. Then I snatch what they have up dirt cheap :D

j/k

Since I am having problems with coming up with a grand for the AR I want im thinking about buildind one piece at a time. Starting with a two stage rra lower.

Yea, I tried the whole piece at a time thing with my current build that I'm doing with Kawi. Didn't work so well. By day 2 of ordering parts, I had ordered everything and spent roughly $2,000 (not counting optics).