Tsunami hits north-eastern Japan after massive quake

Casper

BBC's now saying radiation levels are falling.

IIRC, the half life of most of the radioactive by products of the now shut off reaction is very short, meaning they decay and heat up quickly over a few days then bleed off that heat quickly as they reduce in quantity and turn into more stable elements.

Uranium takes like 500 years to deplete. I really hope radiation levels are falling though.

I just saw they just had another 6.2 earthquake just SW of Tokyo?

Uranium takes like 500 years to deplete. I really hope radiation levels are falling though.

I just saw they just had another 6.2 earthquake just SW of Tokyo?

The half life of uranium-238 is around 4.47 billion years and uranium-235 is around 704 million years.

Containment isn't an issue anyway, if they are all venting gases to the atmosphere. That's what should have been contained and filtered. To avoid explosions or further explosions, they've elected to vent radioactive gases to reduce pressures. As far as I know, all seven reactors at the two locations are venting gases to prevent worse conditions. Much the same as Three Mile Island, except it's pressure containment worked.

The old spent fuel rods in separate cooling pools, at the two that exploded, are now exposed to the open air. This is one of the major sources of radiation in the air, since they still lack cooling and are also boiling and trying to melt.

Yeah I'm not sure how the media is sensationalizing this. It's bad, no matter how you look at it. If anything, the Japanese government (I understand it's part of the culture) is doing more harm by not being totally honest about the situation. That being said, I understand they don't want people to panic...but I think they owe it to the population to inform them.

Edited by InyaAzz

French nuclear dudes are now calling it like it is:

"It's clear we are at Level 6, that's to say we're at a level in between what happened at Three Mile Island and Chernobyl," Andre-Claude Lacoste, president of France's nuclear safety authority, told reporters Tuesday.

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/03/15/japan.nuclear/?hpt=T2

France told all their citizens to immediately leave Tokyo on Monday.

It's been asked how will this effect the motorcycle industry from Japan.

Here's some basic preliminary answers in the news:

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/2/9482/Motorcycle-Article/Japanese-Motorcycle-Industry-Assess-Damage.aspx

http://www.ultimatemotorcycling.com/2011/japan-big-four-motorcycles-earthquake-updates

http://www.powersportsbusiness.com/output.cfm?ID=2731231

Summary: Most of the big four production facilities in Japan are shut down for most of a week to assess damage and what restrictions and losses will occur to their supply and distribution chains. More decisions to follow. Power and fuel are in short supply at the same time. US plants are not shutting down, but hours might be cut back to adjust. Long term effects on production are unclear at this time.

Honda has 114 suppliers in the effected area and hasn't been able to contact 44 of them yet. Honda has an automotive parts factory and an R&D facility in the effected area.

Suzuki appears to be in a condition similar to Honda. The motorcycle engine plant and one assembly plant are shut down.

Yamaha is in the clear, with only some rolling blackouts at non-motorcycle related factories.

Kawasaki hasn't issued any statements yet.

Bridgestone reports no serious damage to it's five facilities. Which includes the Nasu tire plant in the effected area, that makes all the Bridgestone motorcycle tires in the world. Production will resume shortly, with possible delays or power shortages. No supply shortages are anticipated, since there is a three month supply stored in the USA.

Edited by ReconRat

Seriously? Fuck me. I didn't think it was that long.

Really, that just means that it's a low level output. Short half life=run away or die horribly, long half life=you can hold it for a little while and be amazed that it stays warm.

CNN is reporting that the government has 'suspended operations' at the plant. Meaning, they've told everyone to get the fuck outta dodge. Add to this, that there is a NEW fire and I think that any notion that the media is hyping this can officially jump the shark.

The situation is bad, mmmkay? Unfortunately, you won't hear the Japanese government admit it until it's too late.

CNN is reporting that the government has 'suspended operations' at the plant. Meaning, they've told everyone to get the fuck outta dodge. Add to this, that there is a NEW fire and I think that any notion that the media is hyping this can officially jump the shark.

The situation is bad, mmmkay? Unfortunately, you won't hear the Japanese government admit it until it's too late.

Chernobyl had only one reactor melt down.

I highly doubt anyone was standing around with a water hose trying to cool rods after the first explosion...so suspending operations now seems far fetched. Who in there right mind would have even been near it after the first explosion.

I highly doubt anyone was standing around with a water hose trying to cool rods after the first explosion...so suspending operations now seems far fetched. Who in there right mind would have even been near it after the first explosion.

There are 50 workers there still. They were evacuated for a bit today but returned a bit ago to continue trying to cool everything.

This is exactly what is happening. A crew of 50 out of about 450 or so has been staying there trying to cool it down. It's not surprising to me...I'm sure the same thing would happen in this country. They are probably rotating in and out...but I can't even imagine what the radiation levels are like inside the building.

First its bad then its not then its bad again, now they are back in there. WTF people.

I worked HAZMAT when I was on the fire dept. Used to call it mop n glow. Seems to be something different about running straight up to a nuclear reactor.

Radiation levels seem to be fluctuating...that's why they were pulled out and put back back in when it was 'safe'. To me, this signals that we're watching a disaster in slow motion. Things aren't totally out of their control, but they are headed that way. But then again, I'm not there so what do I know.

You know those guys, whether successful are not, will be considered heroes.

True, but I hate to say the other side of it as well; Most likely dead.

If we have a Chinook flying over to drop 1000 gallons of water on the reactor and the gauges are going off the scale and we call them out... It's worse than we think or being told.

Honestly I hope not. But, I dont think we are being fed the entire meal.

Edited by Beegreenstrings

True, but I hate to say the other side of it as well; Most likely dead.

If we have a Chinook flying over to drop 1000 gallons of water on the reactor and the gauges are going off the scale and we call them out... It's worse than we think or being told.

Honestly I hope not. But, I dont think we are being fed the entire meal.

I agree....there is a LOT the Japanese are not divulging.

And yeah...the radiation levels inside the reactor are most likely lethal.

I read somewhere that the agency in Japan that decides what is a 'safe' amount of radiation to be exposed to, bumped the figure up in the past few days so there wouldn't be the appearance of the company/government breaking the law. WTF?!?!

Normally, I admire and are somewhat envious of certain aspects of Japanese (and other Asian countries) culture, but when it comes to matter like this...I just have to shake my head.

Japanese military has begun what can deemed for all intensive purposes suicide missions to dump water on the exposed rods. They are flying in helicopters with 1000 gallon buckets hung underneath. So far 1 out of 4 attempts hit the target. Thoughts and prayers for the brave folks that are now going to and have already sacrifice their lives to help bring and end to the immediate danger.

The word is, fuel rods are 100% exposed in one of the reactors. Nope. Nothing to worry about. Just stay indoors and you'll be fine.

fukushima.jpg

4450685.bin?size=620x400

100% exposed fuel rods in a reactor (not spent fuel pool)? Citation, please.