Stabilize with swingarm removed

justin0469

OK, so I've come up with my own contraption to hold my bike up when I have the swingarm and front wheel/suspension removed, but what do the rest of you do? What does a shop do? My way makes it difficult to work on without someone holding the bike in place, but it works fine to just hold it up.

I've seen the rafter idea before but what if you have a finished garage without rafters exposed?

Edited by justin0469

OK...if you have a finished garage without rafters exposed

then ya dun goofed!

get up there with a hammer and expose them, or install some heavy duty hooks.

lol seriously though, put some jackstands under the swingarm pivot or on the footpegs or frame and something up in the front too.

but im guessing thats what you have now?

or you could use a mc jack or something?

lg+sm+honda_magna+right.jpeg.jpg

Ratchet strap over your garage door track right at the rear support that should be attached to a rafter. Mine was sturdy and held with no problem

I do the same as quoted, My garage is finished, but I cut slots with hang-down straps to do just that, when not in use, I push them back up in the ceiling and made a cover to go over the holes. :cool: Its functional.

Use 6" threaded "eye bolts". Find the rafters with a stud finder or look for the drywall screw indention. Drill a pilot, screw one bolt per rafter. Attach a chain with small D-rings.

At this point I attach a come-a-long to a tow strap and ratchet it up.

I'm done with the come-a-long till my next project so you're welcome to it.

PM me.

Do you have attic access in your garage? If so just put two 2x4 screwed together across the opening of the attic and use a come along with some tie downs, thats what i do or do the eye bolts. Just make sure everything is rated to hold the weight of your bike. pit bull also makes some jack stands that fit under your rearsets but you have to lift the bike onto them.