My custom side exit exhaust

TRMN8TR

How to build a cheap side exit exhaust:

1. Get a stock GSXR muffler someone discarded in favor of an expensive slip on. Hack off the unwanted cat/baffles.

2. Get rid of your heavy stock muffler, midpipe, and cut off cat, and exup valve.

3. Cut, grind, hammer and weld.

4. Install your new wicked awesome exhaust. Thats right, wicked awesome! The bike just looks sexy with it, and at least if I'm not going fast around the track I'm going to sound like I am! :D

Before looked something like this:

IMG00220.jpg

After:

IMG00223.jpg

Installed:

IMG00225.jpg

Just finished the install tonight. I'm gonna have to trim off a little from the bellypan yet so the track plastics will fit around and I'll get the finished pics up then.

Got the plastics trimmed. Looks great and I took it for a quick stroll around the block today and it sounds just like I hoped it would! I couldn't get the full effect in the garage, it just echoed too much.

With the plastics on:

IMG00233.jpg

A close up:

IMG00232.jpg

Plenty of ground clearance:

IMG00227.jpg

This whole project cost me $38. $30 for the gsxr muffler and $8 for a cable to tune the bike. The software I'm using is TuneECU and its a free-ware for Triumphs and a few other euro bikes. I have a map that accounts for the removed cat and exup valve, and the side exit exhaust. The guy I got it from netted an extra 7 peak hp and a few ft/lbs torque across the board on the dyno with a similar setup. The biggest benefit is weight savings. I shaved 22 lbs of weight vs stock, mostly from up high. (undertail exhaust)

Edited by TRMN8TR
  • Upvote 1

interesting.. how is your clearance on this... when leaned over and suspension compressing? or you using this one strickly street? it just seems that it is lower and more angled out than a "typical" side exit like say the 2006-2008 Gixxers and 2006-up R6's

its deff differant and i would love to see it with the body work on and from other angles

interesting.. how is your clearance on this... when leaned over and suspension compressing? or you using this one strickly street? it just seems that it is lower and more angled out than a "typical" side exit like say the 2006-2008 Gixxers and 2006-up R6's

its deff differant and i would love to see it with the body work on and from other angles

Actually this is on my track only bike. It is about an inch below the "dogbone" and when the shock compresses the dogbone actually goes up, so no problems there. Ground clearance shouldn't be an issue either. The plastic goes about 2-3" below, and the tip of the muffler sticks out just past the plastic. The footpeg will scrape long before the exhaust ever does. I plan on cutting the bodywork tonight and putting it all back together so I'll take pics.