WWII vet discovers he’s not a U.S. citizen

Jst2fst

The US in the citizenship laws really suck balls on this matter. Give than man what he fought for years ago instead of having to fight for it now. Sometimes the things that this nation makes just don't make sense. :nono:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110324/us_yblog_thelookout/wwii-vet-discovers-hes-not-a-u-s-citizen

• Upvote 1

WTF. I thought if you served it made you a citizen?

i think you have to be a permanent resident to join the military as a non-citizen. you dont automatically get citizenship from it, but being in the military speeds up the process. it takes like five or seven years normally to become a naturalized citizen from a perm. resident, but i think if you are in the service you can do it in like three.

i think you have to be a permanent resident to join the military as a non-citizen. you dont automatically get citizenship from it, but being in the military speeds up the process. it takes like five or seven years normally to become a naturalized citizen from a perm. resident, but i think if you are in the service you can do it in like three.

I thought there was something about it. Of course I'm a citizen so when I joined I didn't pay attention to that stuff. lol. Thanks for the info John.

As far as the citizen laws go. I'd say that the fact that he's 95 now and was like 18 or so in the Navy won't that make you a legal resident? If both parents are Americans given the fact of having to register for a residency for him when he was born.