Landing gear revision - where to get steel tubing bent?

Bkizz

Almost riding season and I am still making tweaks to the bike because I can't leave "well enough" alone. I bought this "landing gear" kit from another cripple who came up with the idea...but damn, if I knew how simple it was, I would have had it made myself. Long story short, this kit was designed for a much wider GSXR1000...and we modified it to work on the 650. That being said, the "gear" or bar with wheels on it looks way too wide for such a narrow bike. My other gripe is that the actuator arm and rollerblade wheel mounts are made out of aluminum and have to be bolted to the steel bar instead of welded.

I'm thinking about getting another piece of tubing bent to better fit the bike. I ultimately want the base of the wheels to be just as wide for stability but instead come up at an angle instead of straight up, over and down...basically more of a "V" shape than a "U" shape. I'm just trying to find a frame shop to make the new bar.

I also want to rotate the actuator 90 degrees and mount it under the seat behind the license plate instead of it hanging waaay off the side of the bike. Thankfully, DTM Brian hooked me up with someone who can machine a new bracket...but dude can't bend steel tubing. (at least not that I know of) If you know of a place I can call, let me know.

HPIM2424.jpg

HPIM2419.jpg

Hey brian, I know a shop. I'll text it to you later when I get the number. Its over by the airport. If you need me to trailer your bike over there let me know too. They do alot of race cars, role cages, body work etc. Great guys. If you need help working on the bike let me know too.

SN: I just noticed this when looking at your bike again. You might have an issue doing what you want based on how the set up is with the actuator and the bracket for it. You will need some space for the curve of the arm. Instead of bending the pipe you could do the following. You could have a straight pipe off the bike parallel with the ground, then weld the side arms on to the flat bar with the bend on the lower part of the arm to clear the bike.

Edited by Jeepman3ski

SN: I just noticed this when looking at your bike again. You might have an issue doing what you want based on how the set up is with the actuator and the bracket for it. You will need some space for the curve of the arm. Instead of bending the pipe you could do the following. You could have a straight pipe off the bike parallel with the ground, then weld the side arms on to the flat bar with the bend on the lower part of the arm to clear the bike.

My original thought was to start fresh with a new bar, actuator bracket and "feet" for the rollerblade wheels.Then I could turn around and sell my current assembly to another crip with a larger bike. (I've had people ask where to get the kit on youtube)

This time the "feet" could be made out of steel and welded on instead of bolt-on aluminum pieces. The new actuator bracket could simply be two steel tabs welded and reinforced to the bar. The actuator would be mounted under the seat slightly off center to the right side instead of on the left side of the bike like it is now.

You could also buy pre bent pieces and weld them together and skip having a shop bend for you. This helps you replace portions of it rather than having to get an entire new piece. Could also do a bolt together design using threaded plugs rather than welding. Loads of options out there.

I have a mandrel bender and could give it a go if you'd like. Let me know the material, OD and ID dimensions and I'll see if I can get it done for you.

I can make the steel feet or other parts for you at no charge, just PM me or email the drawings of the parts you want made to me.

i think its awesome you're still riding man! Props. Hope you can get your stuff figured out on your landing gear!

Thanks man!!

I think I will save this idea for next winter. What I've already got works fine...and I'd rather ride it now and fix the aesthetics later. Just gotta get my tank and plastics back from Reimbrandt and I will be ready to rolllllll. :D

Just curious, did you get that setup from Lee Beaver in Arizona? It looks really familiar.

P.S. -- I like your plan. Ride now, mod next winter.

Yes, I got the landing gear arm and actuator from Lee. The electric shifter I had to buy seperate.

I've been talking to a dude who contacted me on youtube after seeing my video. His injury is similar to mine and he just had a machinist modify his R6....it turned out great!! I like how his actuator is under the seat. This is the look I'm going for. I think we are gonna meet up sometime this summer.

DSC00897.jpg

1121001511.jpg

1121001510a.jpg