Thank goodness for safe mode and system restore

chevysoldier

I was browsing windows 7 themes and icon packs last night and found some icons I really liked. I saw that many people had used them and these were on multiple web pages so I figured they were safe. Anyways I downloaded the zip file. I made a system restore point and then unzipped and intalled the pack. I saw my desktop icons change and then restarted like it said to. Now I see my log in and then..........multiple error windows. cCick cancel on each one and more pop up. I try to log in with the error windows up but get nothing. Damn it to hell.

Restart and try again. This time no log in screen, just error windows. Shit. Restart and boot in safe mode. Use system restore to go back to before I installed it. Successful. Restart. Windows log on screen with no error messages, awesome. Log on and see two icons haven't reverted back to the originals. I go to the file I unzipped and the unintall file that was there before I installed is gone. WTF? So now I unzip the original file again, reinstall without restarting and the uninstall file remains. Click uninstall and everything goes back to normal, finally. :banana:

I made sure my virus scanner, spyware terminator and malwarbytes are all updated and ran than last night. All good, no issues thankfully. Got to bed at 0400.

Moral of the story? Use system restore when installing stuff and avoid icon packages. :nono:

Moral of the story? Use system restore when installing stuff and avoid icon packages. :nono:

dont waste your breath, if i got a dollar for every person i have told about not downloading themes and not running P2P programs i would be a millionaire but people still do it.

dont waste your breath, if i got a dollar for every person i have told about not downloading themes and not running P2P programs i would be a millionaire but people still do it.

I had never done it before, thought I'd try it out. Never again though.

searching for wallpaper on the internet is still one of the worst things you could ever do to a computer.

I've downloaded wallpapers many times but don't like screensavers or themes.