When a pet dies?

Monstrosity

Recently one of my bearded dragons died due to health complications. My gf and I took it a lot harder than I thought (at least I would). Today we finally cleaned out his cage and now the room seems so empty. We've talked about getting another one but I'm not sure how long to wait. I never thought I'd feel this way in regards to an animal that is so small but wow I miss him badly. :(

I almost feel that getting another will help but then I get a conflicting feeling that we should wait out of respect.

Decisions, decisions...

Losing a pet is always awful. How long you wait is up to you. For us, it's happened twice in 25 years and it just sort of happened that after a few months we were ready to move on.

sorry for your loss. A pet is a pet no matter how small. Getting another one wouldn't replace it but it could help ease the pain a little. You will grow to love the new pet as much as the last. You could always look into adopting a pet.

Thank you, yes I have though about finding one on Craigslist that needs a good home. My better half hand fed him and our other one. They get the best of the best.

A member of the family is a member of the family no matter how big or small.

Add to the family when you're ready, there's no right or wrong amount of time.

Good point...

Losing a pet is always awful. How long you wait is up to you. For us, it's happened twice in 25 years and it just sort of happened that after a few months we were ready to move on.

I was thinking of waiting a month but if it happens sooner than so be it...

I agree with the previous posts. I will add that you shouldn't put a time frame on it. Go by how you feel. Give yourself time to grieve and then take a look around. See what kind of feelings you have then. Know what I mean? I am very sorry for your loss.

Don't put a time frame on it. I have lost several pets that have came to me because they needed a better home. The hardest one was a 14foot female boa. She was special to my family because we actually had a "litter" with her while she was still in the pet shop that my mom worked at. The store was closing, and I ended up with her, because I was the only one to ever get her out of the cage she was kept in.

I had her for several years, before she passed. It killed me to know she wasn't in the cage when I walked past it. She would always crawl out of the shrubs inside it, and wait at the door for me to let her out in the room. I was reminded of her all the time, and it took a while for me to get another. It didn't happen until I was in a pet store getting mice for my other snake, that the "calling" came. Some guy came in, and was deploying over seas. He couldn't take his snake, and the pet store had no room for a 12' male boa. Told the guy about my female, and he asked me to take his snake so he would be in a good home. Since then, the snake has passed over this past winter. I am always on the look for a good home to another animal.

Needless to say, keep an eye out. You never know when you may be asked to give another bearded dragon a good home. Don't be set on just a bearded dragon either. There is always a "exotic" pet that will need a home. If you are a reptile lover, if you don't find one that for some reason draws your attention, one will find you. Just hang in there.

Sorry to hear about the loss by the way. A lot of people look at reptiles in a weird way, but to people that think they are family pets like dogs are, have just as hard of a time getting over them. It will happen though. Hang in there.

Hey, pets are pets. Dogs and cats seem to be more attachable because they roam our houses at will, your dragon could have done the same - I dont know. But, It is like my fiance and I. We have both agreed that 1 child would be great, but for the time we have our dogs and those dogs take up a great part of our lives. All of them take up space in our lives, we see them everyday. We feed them take them to the vet, walk and play with them. So when one is no longer there to take up that space and time, it leaves a slot empty.

My buddy has a chesapeak bay retreiver that is heading to the vet this morning. Unfortunetly he will not be returning home in his present state. He was diagnosed with cancer last thursday and has been in pain ever since. This guy trains dogs and raises the chesy's so this is going to be extra difficult for him. knowing full well he is making the right decision. He acts and is one of the toughest people I know, but you can see past that and tell he is hurting inside. I stopped in last night and had a beer with him and the pup. Kind of rough!

Very sorry for your loss. I deal mostly with cats and dogs but I have some information regarding pet loss. You can PM me if you are interested. Everyone is different. Give yourself time to heal and you will know when it is right for another pet. Remember, you are not replacing, just opening your home to another.