Can anyone recommend any Martial Arts Schools?

NinjaN8

I'm looking for school's, dojo's, gym's in the Port Clinton, Sandusky area.

I'm not really looking for any specific style though, I've got a pretty good base in Karate (2+ years of Shito-Ryu) and I would absolutely LOVE to learn aikido. Having said that, I really am open to learning other styles.

I'd also like to find a place that would teach my kids (ages 8 and 12). They have a limited knowledge of Tae Kwon Do but, I'm not really impressed with what they've learned. It seems that instead of actually teaching much technique the instructors were just acting more like an after school care program.

Anyhow, any help would be appreciated.

I don't really have a specific goal in mind. I am definitely NOT looking for a black-belt factory if you take my meaning. When I was taking karate I didn't realize how lucky I was to be in a good school, until I moved away from home and found out that really good schools are few and far between.

I guess I'm looking for an instructor who actually knows what they are doing and not just learning from a book or videos. (There are schools out there like that.) As a law enforcement officer I want to be able to defend myself and others when the fit hits the shan.

if you can't find krav maga, there are probably a handful of muay thai, bjj, or mma school nearby somewhere. i guess it depends what you want to focus on. striking, or getting dirty on the ground. i've never attended any sort of mma class, so i can't comment on those.... but I believe it's a conglomeration of american boxing and muay thai with lots of bjj concepts.

if you can't find krav maga, there are probably a handful of muay thai, bjj, or mma school nearby somewhere. i guess it depends what you want to focus on. striking, or getting dirty on the ground. i've never attended any sort of mma class, so i can't comment on those.... but I believe it's a conglomeration of american boxing and muay thai with lots of bjj concepts.

Krav maga is only good if you have decent instructors. A lot seem horrible unfortunately since it is a great defense art. BJJ is horrible for self defense or practical use. You can adapt some things but overall it isn't good for defense training. It's a hell of a workout and a great sport though. Muay thai is only slightly more practical BJJ since you are staying on your feet, but it is also one dimensional. Just like BJJ, hell of a workout and a great sport. An MMA class isn't practical for anything accept a good work out and guys training in BJJ, Muay Thai and that want to practice MMA.

i recommended them because they're ubiquitous and more useful than 99% of karate TKD and the like. i was going to offer to teach him my ninja-ness, but then i would've had to disembowel him in front of his children after he mastered it. it's a heart warming tradition in a way, you know.

Self-defense and what you are likely to find at the local dojo are more often than not two different entities. There are guys that have never been in a real fight who teach people how to survive a real fight, which makes no sense. Check out Christophe Clugston on Facebook or Youtube for a nice education in self-defense technology.

Self-defense and what you are likely to find at the local dojo are more often than not two different entities. There are guys that have never been in a real fight who teach people how to survive a real fight, which makes no sense. Check out Christophe Clugston on Facebook or Youtube for a nice education in self-defense technology.

Sounds like your typical kung fu movie...

'Long Duck Dong travels the land challenging all he can to test his skill and prove he is the ultimate Kung Fu Master.'

Makes no sense at all....

actually, for a nominal fee, I will have dudes chase you around with a knife. for a slightly higher fee, i can have those same dudes chase you around with a knife... and anal rape.