Time to identify yourself!

buildit

Are you a Dual Sport rider? For those who don't know, it's not a description of kinky sexual positions and freaky partners, unless you name is Swingset. :p

Dual Sport riders are motorcyclists who enjoy the road even after it ends. We can do 1000 mile trips, twisties, gravel, dirt roads, quad trails, single track and even like to play on MX tracks when no one is looking. :lol:

It is the logical progression of off road riding as trails become fragmented and fuel costs prohibitive to trailering an dirt bike for a day of fun in the dirt. Our bikes range in size, power and suspension from the little KE100's to the giant GS1200's. Some even use regular street bikes because they can.;)

So out yourself here to be counted amongst the people with mud caked in the fender going down the highway smiling like an escaped convict.:D

Post a photo, list your rides, or disclose your favorite place to get dirty. It's all good.

DSCN4022.jpg

Edited by buildit

Not sure I count as a DS rider anymore since I sold the DR, but I still play on the Vee.

Do you stop and turn around if the pavement ends? Is riding in gravel as bad as seeing an inch of ice on the roads? If the answer is No then you qualify for DS.:D

You could always come out for a ride and find out for sure.;)

Do you stop and turn around if the pavement ends? Is riding in gravel as bad as seeing an inch of ice on the roads? If the answer is No then you qualify for DS.:D

You could always come out for a ride and find out for sure.;)

I didn't stop and turn around when the pavement ended on the ZX10. I surely don't on the Vee. LOL

I high-sided my scooter in the neighbor's yard a couple years back. Does that count? :dunno:

Did you have your gear on? If so sure. :D

However, this raises another point. DS riders tend to be ATGATT.

Well I honestly don't know what type of a rider I am! I built "dirt bikes" I bought in bushel baskets and boxes as a kid. Rode motocross. Got into street bikes in the late 70s. The one thing I like about having different bikes is that you can ride most any day no matter what the weather is like. "Adventure" riders see more of the world than any other riders. Pavement gets boring, especially here in central/western Ohio.

I must admit my favorite road in se ohio was a 20 some mile stretch of gravel road that had the best view I have ever come across. Wish I could find it again. Something tells me I won't ever have the pleasure of finding this gem again. :confused:

The only thing I avoid is excessive cold and mud trails. Gravel roads and forestry roads are all good. Come to think about it, I haven't been on a road yet that made me turn around. If I can move forward, then forward I go.

One summer I had my big cruiser VTX on a nice dirt/gravel road with some pretty steep hills. In fact, it was a friends drive way that weaved through the country landscape. What I didn't know was it had rained pretty hard a few days earlier and just before getting to his house the road was flooded out. So, I had to turn around on a slope. Not the funniest experience, but was very surprised that my VTX didn't have a bit of a problem going back up that iffy hill, probably an incline of 45-55 degrees. Love my X.

OhioBob

Well, if you look hard enough you'll find pics and video of the old timers on their Harleys bush wacking trails like a bunch of MX riders. Like I said the bike doesn't make the rider.

yup yup... Ever since I stopped racing MX. I have found my joy in riding my XR's. I enjoy having a monster tucked away in the garage but lets face it, when the guy that literally rides everyday is checking out your xr650l at the honda shop and suggest you replace your tires because the side tread looks worse than your center tread, but the tread on your other bikes looks brand new, you have serious issues.

:D I have been told to stop taking corners like berms on a MX track.

I've been on one road that made me turn around.... I must not be all hardcore like you guys, lol but to be fair, it was over a foot deep in the center, and I didn't have any idea how many old wheels and other treacherous obstacles were under the water.

00eaa002.jpg

I Love getting dirty. I built a motard and I bearly ride the Tuono anymore. I am constantly looking for places to play. please post up so fun stuff to ride around here.

http://www.ohioriders.net/album.php?albumid=1221

I have two XR's an 83 350 and the X-tard 96 XR 628. The 350 is my trail bike.

I've been on one road that made me turn around.... I must not be all hardcore like you guys, lol but to be fair, it was over a foot deep in the center, and I didn't have any idea how many old wheels and other treacherous obstacles were under the water.

00eaa002.jpg

I've been through deeper. :lol:

00eaa002.jpg

I see a line on the left side. :p

Always look for the best line to cross the water. ;)

Meridingthroughriver.jpg

Oh yea, I am a dual sporter as well. This was taken a few years ago at the Hanging Rock 200 down in Zaleski. It is an 2002 WR426F.

DSCN0067.jpg

Is that plated? Unless your running renagade you need plates to be on the road. More for the CFR than the WR.

Edited by buildit