Reading Digital Speedo and Tach

imprez55

Background: I have been interested in building a gear indicator for a while now because I think $120 for one is a total rip off, especially since it really isn't necessary. I could easily add something like a hall effect sensor or reed switch to the bike to make sure I know the speed, but I want to keep it as stock as possible like the acumen etc indicators do. Since the acumen are universal (except for the plug, the wire in are universal), I am assuming whatever pulses are sent to the speedo and tach are standard somehow. I have a lot of the programming done but I have not been able to test it at all or make sure I am doing everything right.

What I'm asking: I don't have my bike (or an oscilloscope, but I'm sure I could make do without) in front of me so I was wondering if anyone knew offhand what kind of pulses I will be looking at and how they relate to speed? It could be as simple as 1 revolution = 1 pulse for the speedo, and the same for the tach but the problem is I just don't actually know.

It should be a square pulse 5v. . in your logic do not count the pulses but measue them to calculate speed . Compare rpm to pulse width to figure out gear

Exactly what I was looking for, thank you! One more question then: do you know what frequency it would be at?

I looked into what you said and saw a couple places had speedo's (for cars) that were 1Hz = 1mph but then anything below 10mph would be essentially unreadable (then again, if you are going 10 you better be in first, and how often and you doing only 10mph!). So I guess that doesn't really matter, I just like to have references.

I would be interested in cheap gear indicators if you make them. jus'sayying
I would be as well.

I will keep that in mind. I started the project while I was off for Easter break, however, I am back at school now for a couple weeks so no real time to look into it. If I have time between research and a job during summer I will try to get it done quickly and I will do what I can on the weekends. If people are interested (without me even asking) it might make me want to work a little quicker/harder.

This will be the first micro circuit I have built without a bom or anything, so if anyone has a store bought they will let me crack open to just look at what parts they included let me know! I don't want to over or under build this if I will be giving it to other people. I plan on doing it integrated as well just not for $210 haha, for me I will be keeping the stock red color (bike is red) like this:

img217.jpg

I'm not knocking the guy that does them btw; he is the only one I know of and it looks like he does great work, but sourcing an expensive product makes the final one that much more costly and I personally couldn't bring myself to pay that

Is that CL listing still up? If so I would be interested in talking to that person, possibly a good investment to make sure I get everything right the first time out (haha, that isn't going to happen).

I am planning on making it integrated into the cluster, because that's how I want it personally. I will certainly make it as an add-on though if this is expanded, once I get my CNC machine figured out that is. There is a problem with the SolidCam postprocessor and its not using commands EMC2 can interpret. Again, not enough time to figure that out so initially it will be integrated. Once I figure out the CNC machine then I can make billet aluminum and hdpe etc. housings for people (that would be the easiest part, 20 min in CAD and CAM and then just setup).

While you're at it make one for a VROD :D

Analog speedometer I assume? Regardless you can just throw a hall effect sensor or reed switch on the frame and a magnet on the rotor to get speed signals and it would accomplish the same (easier for me to do right now actually). I just did not want to route extra wires or glue anything on the frame/rotors.

She's a digital speedo and tach, I was just being demanding... if I knew how to do any of the things you just said I wouldn't be in marketing :(

I r not very good at technical thingies

Haha, well demanding works because it will work for your bike! Just because you are in marketing doesn't mean you wouldn't know, I'm in biochemistry and I know. You just need to work marketing magic and pimp this thing out to everyone if/when it gets finished.

Exactly what I was looking for, thank you! One more question then: do you know what frequency it would be at?

I looked into what you said and saw a couple places had speedo's (for cars) that were 1Hz = 1mph but then anything below 10mph would be essentially unreadable (then again, if you are going 10 you better be in first, and how often and you doing only 10mph!). So I guess that doesn't really matter, I just like to have references.

I will keep that in mind. I started the project while I was off for Easter break, however, I am back at school now for a couple weeks so no real time to look into it. If I have time between research and a job during summer I will try to get it done quickly and I will do what I can on the weekends. If people are interested (without me even asking) it might make me want to work a little quicker/harder.

This will be the first micro circuit I have built without a bom or anything, so if anyone has a store bought they will let me crack open to just look at what parts they included let me know! I don't want to over or under build this if I will be giving it to other people. I plan on doing it integrated as well just not for $210 haha, for me I will be keeping the stock red color (bike is red) like this:

img217.jpg

I'm not knocking the guy that does them btw; he is the only one I know of and it looks like he does great work, but sourcing an expensive product makes the final one that much more costly and I personally couldn't bring myself to pay that

The frequency varies from bike to bike.

What kind of cnc machine do you have? Taig , sherline or something bigger

The frequency varies from bike to bike.

What kind of cnc machine do you have? Taig , sherline or something bigger

Eh, doesn't matter really since its a programmed ratio anyway, just hoping to make it easier on myself. Thanks!

Bigger: converted a X3 from HF with cncfusion ballscrews, keling inc steppers and a gecko g540 with homemade power supply. I had mach3 running it previously and it ran quite well but I ran into computer problems (people needed computers, I am who they came to) so now I have EMC2 running it. Everything works fine, I just haven't been able to run my own code because EMC2 and SolidCam don't play nice together. I plan on doing some ar10, ar15 and 2011 frames I have modeled this summer if I get around to it...too many projects and not enough time.