squid?

Jamez

Ill start by saying that I'm all 4 wearing the right gear especially being a newer rider.

That being said I have 2 questions both relating to wearing gear.

1- why do I see 99.997% of Harley riders with no gear and everyone thinks its normal and ok, and if you see a sportbike rider he's considered stupid and a squid and foolish? Is he more likely to get hurt because he's on a sport bike?

2- with summer coming ( 90 here last 2 days ) what is everyone wearing? Do you still wear full jacket and riding pants and everything? I assume you do.

When I stop I feel like I'm gonna pass out from the heat, what do you guys do/wear to TRY and stay comfortable?

I realize that this all sounds like I don't want to wear gear. Its not like that. I'm curious and a fairly new rider so I'm just looking for some answers.

AGATT ( All Gear All The Time) I just got some riding pants and will start to wear them. I always wear my jacket gloves helmet and gloves. No matter how short the distance. As for the Harley comment I have no clue as to why they ride that way but looks foolish and for sport bike riders we already have a bad rep enough with people acting stupid and wrecking because of poor actions. I was on the high was yesterday heading to bike night and saw a couple behind me with no gear on in shorts.

Hey if they don't care enough to wear gear then why should we?

I almost always wear helmet, jacket, boots, gloves, and a pair of jeans. Only on the real short jaunts (even rarely then) would I skimp on anything. Even if I was heading to the park to play soccer or whatever, I would bring a backpack or my tail pack with a change of clothes.

Yeah, there have been a few times where I "tested the waters" and went the squid route, but it made me feel uneasy b/c you never know when shit is going to hit the fan.

Ironically, I just had a low-side about three weeks ago and got out with some minor rash on my right arm (textile jacket tore at the seam). If I had not been geared, I would have been screwed. I nailed my head hard, my boots got torn to hell, and luckily I slid on my wallet (normal jeans aren't all that great protection).

I personally think it's stupid to not at least wear a helmet, for obvious reason, let alone if you aren't on a cruiser with a big windshield, have fun taking all the bugs in the face.

Either way, it's your personal decision and not my right to judge. Honestly though, I think the discomfort is well worth the price you pay to keep yourself from getting seriously f'd up when that day finally comes, because everyone goes down eventually...

Yeah in the summer it can get quite toasty, but you only really notice it when you're in heavy traffic and/or stopped. It's honestly not bad at all when in motion. As for gear, as mentioned, you can get some nice riding pants that are well vented. I hear that a lot of the leather jackets you can get actually aren't all that bad with all the venting. Mesh, I don't trust. I went textile for me b/c my weight was fluctuating, and I didn't have the cash to fork out at the time for leather. I highly recommend boots, since they seem to be the most overlooked. I've seen enough crashes where people are geared, but wear their sneakers and have some pretty major repercussions. Heck, with my recent low-side my ankle would have been ground to the bone if I had worn my tennis shoes.

As for the harley riders (and others for that matter). All I can say is who cares what someone else thinks/does. The question is, to what length are you willing to go to so that you can ride another day, or at least prevent from having skin taken off your ass to replace elsewhere on your body?!

Edited by BonkerS

I think this is a good question, especially regarding the upcoming heat.

1. The perception is just stupid to me and NOT OK. You can and do get just as hurt falling on a cruiser. I think there is a conception that cruisers just ride around slowly and don't really corner the same way sport bikes do. Therefore if you do go down it will be a drop rather than a crash. However as you are going around off ramps and down the freeway at 70mph, you can see they are NOT riding slowly. I see the same thing with scooters. I wonder how it feels to fall at 45mph onto pavement wearing only flip flops and shorts? ATGATT!!!

2. Do some research on this and take opinions with a grain of salt. Everyone has their favorites, but you will have to decide what is right for you and your budget. Many people switch to perforated leather or textile based safety gear in the summer which allows more cooling air to flow through. You may give up some protective qualities, but there is a school of thought that if you are comfortable, you are less likely to crash in the first place. Some of the textile stuff seems as good as leather too, but it is my belief that it is kind of like an airbag. It will protect you once, but then you may have to replace it. Good leather can usually protect you a few times. My jacket has vents everywhere that can be opened to help with cooling, but at stops it still gets hot. The generally agreed on coolest gear is the mesh based nylon stuff, but I've heard bad things about its protective qualites (like it will protect you from road rash, but get so hot from the friction that it can burn you) so I have shied away from it myself.

I did a lot of research on this subject over the winter and while I was picking out my safety gear. You can find good threads on the subject on many of the motorcycle forums.

I believe riders can wear what they want, it's their life, but I won't ride with anyone on a sportbike unless they have at least a jacket and helmet combo. I myself on hot days wear my JR speedmaster leather jacket, jeans, riding boots, gloves, and full face helmet. My jacket has zipper vents and I don't cruise around town if it's a hot day. I'm always moving and out in the country side. My moto is, sweat wipes off, road rash doesn't. I also, am out to ride and not to impress people with how dry I can stay, so I don't care how sweaty I get honestly. They can kiss my ass if they think I look hot, that's my problem, not theirs. Sweating is good for you anyway...just stay hydrated...gatorade and water on those 90+ degree days.

AGATT ( All Gear All The Time) I was on the high was yesterday heading to bike night and saw a couple behind me with no gear on in shorts.

Hey if they don't care enough to wear gear then why should we?

:nono:

I wonder if people like that have a real concept of the damage road rash can do. Not only the rider, but his passenger who may be out just to have fun and may not understand the risk. I wonder if during the course of getting your motorcycle temp if you did "road rashes from hell" gory videos like we used to watch in driver's ed if that would change people's minds on gear. I'm not a doctor, but I've seen enough damage to people caused from motorcycle laydowns that I can't imagine riding without my gear. I dunno maybe Darwinism is the way to go for those folks.

I feel "naked" without my gear on. I picked up a textile jacket for summer as an option to my leather. I also have some riding jeans I got a few days ago.

I always think its funny when I pass another sport bike rider without gear. I think what an idiot and Im sure hes looking at me saying the same thing because I have gear on.

Mesh is your friend in the heat, so is light colored gear. I have the Rev-It AIR jacket and pants. Awesome quality, super light, and good protection.

As for why no one questions Harley riders for no gear? Because they're Wild Hogs and it's a rolling fashion show. We tend to scoff at flip-flop sportbike riders because they should know better, given the equipment they've chosen.

As others have said. My normal gear consists of helmet, jacket with CE armor (textile during the summer), riding pants CE armored (I have a convertible pair that I wear all year round), boots and gloves. Yes it gets hot when you are sitting in traffic but better safe than sorry.

Shad

1. pirates are mythical creatures who can only be damaged by rum, nooses and wenches.

2. Man up.

But really it's up to you to decide what level of coverage/safety gear you want to wear. Its your skin.

Been riding for way over 30 years, started off in the dirt and on the hills, so I know about crashing. Even though its not the same as on the road, you tend to hit more things and do some real weird contortions when you crash while offroad, so pain is pain, just no cages. Scootin around town I have come to be always aware, ever vigilant although we all know that doesn't always work. And in and around our small town I do not gear up. Now if I hit the slab, its helmet on (quite often the fullface), full leathers (in the heat-mesh textile with full guards), boots. Not the fancy super expensive pants, but leather helps more than you might think.

I do not begrudge an rider who chooses to ride full gear on, or shorts and sandals. Its choice, but my wife being a new rider I insist on her being fully covered. I do things instinctually, she is still learning.

I am against the government trying to be my daddy, so I actually appreciate ohio's lack of a strict helmet law.

That said, anyone riding without gear is asking for pain or death. I always wore helmet, jacket, gloves, and boots. I should have been better about pants. Jeans are definitely not protection.

Cruiser riders seem to be more about image than function. You can tell that by the style of bike they ride. Most handle okay at best, and they prefer air cooling be aide radiators are ugly. Gear just doesn't fit the image.

Gear on a sport bike looks less out of place, but I have heard people say, "I'd rather be comfortable the 1,000 hours I'm on the bike and risk being uncomfortable if I crash." comparing sweating to road rash doesn't add up for me, but I have heard that logic.

Personally, I think you should be required to do a couple hours of "gear education" to get your endorsement, including graphic photos of rash and head injuries. Don't require gear; inform people about the consequences of not wearing it. Then those who refuse to wear it get none of my sympathy.

ATGATT for me. I have several jackets, boots, and gloves to go with the fickle weather of this part of the country. With how advanced gear has come in the last 10-15 years there's really no excuse to ride without something that has some sort of protective armor.

For the super hot days, I go for a lighter (or mesh) armored jacket combined with an evaporated cooling vest. For the cold days I go to my Aerostitch and if necessary the Gerbings to stay comfortable. Helmet on at all times - I only own a full-face.

Choosing to wear the protective gear is a personal choice. I know from personal experience that the gear does do its job, and I can only hope that these riders that don't wear it don't learn its value the hard way.

FWIW, the term "squid" seems to have expanded far beyond its original connotation.

I was told by some old racers that the term was coined when the veterans would refer to the reckless youngsters as "squirrely kids" as they got the bike loose on corner entry and exit. They would let the bike get "squirrely" and they were young, so the combination was a "squid."

It had nothing to do with gear, or lack thereof, and was purely a comment on how they raced.

Now it seems like people will use the term for anything dumb done on a bike, regardless of whether it's gear, age, aggressive riding, etc.

I will say that It is is blistering when you have on all the gear but I always say, better safe than sorry. I wear a helmet, gloves, leather jacket and jeans. My next investment are going to be riding boots. Also I like the post about the perforated leather. I am a big fan of the leather and this would be perfect for me to invest in. If I would chose any material I would want to slide in it would be leather. Thanks for making this post this just gave me a lot of good Ideas being a new rider also.

My friend would not wear a helmet till I forcefully told him evertime i saw him that he needed to get one. The last time I saw him he said he had some money put away to go and get one. I said, you better go and get it then and I don't want excuses. Later that day I was hanging out with another friend who was at Iron Pony the same time my other friend was and saw him buying helmet. I was releived. I love my friends and I dont' want them to go anywhere from shear stupidity.

One of my other friends put himself in a hospital. He said he was going to go down the road and come right back. On his way back he hit the curb and tossed himself. luckly he just had road rash everywhere. Oh yeah, he also has a titanium plate in his face. So you are probably wandering what he was wearing. He was on a cruiser not a rokect but was wearing no helmet, sandles, and shorts, and white t-shirt. I just hungout with him and I showed up with my bike and all my gear and he said he wanted to get another bike and do it right this time.

my hot weather gear:

helmet (whichever i have that flows the most amount of air)

short squid gloves with perforations (leather)

mesh jacket with some sort of thin, sweat wicking shirt. once you get moving, it gets downright chilly, and i have to replace shirts (and sometimes jackets) from my nipples poking through.

reinforced jeans, or the pant section from my 2pc suit, if we're gonna do a longer ride

race boots... if it's a non-twisties ride, i'll wear some other less dedicated boots.

Naked riders;

1. Mostly never go faster than 45mph.

2. Have temp permit.

3. Haven't experienced contact with pavement yet.

4. Can't afford gear yet.

5. All of the above.

Pick one...

There's a little race team that frequents the local tracks and call themselves "squidfarm racing" but they all wear race quality gear;)

Think "squid" was coined more for any squishy-brained antics, gear or no gear.....if you're riding crazy, you be a squid LOL!!! I've been known to ride squidishly from time to time:D:D:D

For the newbies on here: Be prepared to have this point brought up again, and again, and again during the riding season.

I've been a gear nazi in the past, but I will cite rule 11 of the Rules of the Internet: All of you carefully picked arguments can easily be ignored. It's your body, it's your skin, you can do whatever the hell you want to, up to and including rocking a mankini. Any new riders that have come to me for advice I've always steered down the path of proper gear for the budget they have to spend, and will continue to do so.

As for me, I've got a A* ATL jacket that is fairly decent at airflow, non-gaunt gloves, Scorp helmet, and Setup race boots that I wear everywhere when I'm on the bike. If I know I'm hitting some twisties I'll throw on some sixsixone knee pads under my jeans. Went down in this setup (substitute ATL jacket for Teknic textile) and didn't have a scratch.

• Upvote 1