The 25th Anniversary of one of the greatest movies of the 80s

Bad324

Coulda swore I read somewhere that they were going to do another one...

that would be true. I heard a few months back they were in the process of making a sequel and Tom Cruise was going to make either a cameo or be a decently major role as a Top Gun instructor

Honestly, I hope they don't end up making it because it has too great of a chance to suck

it could also be pretty awesome though. For the time, Top Gun had a lot of access to military aircraft. Most Americans had never seen a fighter "up close" before.

Now they'd probably feature the F22 or F35 - a lot probably depends on how badly the Air Force wants/needs good publicity...

It seemed like they set up the original for a sequel as soon as he said he wanted to instruct at Top Gun school. I just wonder if the sequel would be about Maverick in the present day, or if it would be more about the new class of young pilots.

it could also be pretty awesome though. For the time, Top Gun had a lot of access to military aircraft. Most Americans had never seen a fighter "up close" before.

Now they'd probably feature the F22 or F35 - a lot probably depends on how badly the Air Force wants/needs good publicity...

It seemed like they set up the original for a sequel as soon as he said he wanted to instruct at Top Gun school. I just wonder if the sequel would be about Maverick in the present day, or if it would be more about the new class of young pilots.

I agree there is the potential that it could be really awesome, either way I'm sure I would probably love it but it just makes me nervous

one a side note, I really want this but not for the price tag:

http://cgi.ebay.com/TOP-GUN-Mens-FLIGHT-Leather-Jacket-Type-G-1-/160574219532?pt=US_CSA_MC_Outerwear&var=&hash=item6b1b6f7227#ht_1425wt_1139

Except it was the Navy, not Air Force. ;)

My guess is probably the F22, I believe the whole F35 project is barely getting off the ground, if you'd pardon the pun.

I agree there is the potential that it could be really awesome, either way I'm sure I would probably love it but it just makes me nervous

TOP GUN Mens FLIGHT Leather Jacket Type G-1 | eBay

$350 for that? That's one of the lesser knockoffs I've ever seen. I'd ask what the authentic guarantee means, that's it's guaranteed to be made in China somewhere? ;)

$350 for that? That's one of the lesser knockoffs I've ever seen. I'd ask what the authentic guarantee means, that's it's guaranteed to be made in China somewhere? ;)

I already entered the Top Gun Day giveaway of the $900 replica jacket :D

If they do a sequel I hope it doesn't suck. BTW I read that in a recent Chinese propaganda film for one of their new fighters they used clips from the Top Gun F-5 fight at the end. I would think even their propoganda folks would be smarter than that.

If they use F-22's it will be Red Flag instead of Top Gun. Air Force equivalent of Navy Fighter Weapon School (TOPGUN)

RIP Art Scholl.

If they do a sequel I hope it doesn't suck. BTW I read that in a recent Chinese propaganda film for one of their new fighters they used clips from the Top Gun F-5 fight at the end. I would think even their propoganda folks would be smarter than that.

If they use F-22's it will be Red Flag instead of Top Gun. Air Force equivalent of Navy Fighter Weapon School (TOPGUN)

RIP Art Scholl.

If they do have a sequel I hope they have Quentin Tarantino. :)

And no, the Chinese propaganda folks aren't smarter than that. Really. Neither are Iran's, or ours for that matter.

TOP GUN Mens FLIGHT Leather Jacket Type G-1 | eBay

Yeah, not that one. The chest pockets are correct for a navy flight jacket, but the furry collar is the type from an air force A1, not G1.

If you watch, you'll see mil-spec surplus sold once and a while on ebay. That would be the real stuff. I would know, I bought maybe eight of them for ultra cheap about 15 years ago when the US Navy announced they weren't going to give them to pilots anymore and liquidated them. The pilots disagreed and got the jackets back. One is issued to each pilot on graduation.

Of the jackets I got from ebay, two were actually original world war two stuff in good shape and quite collectible. I was buying everything in my size I could find. Which I should mention, the real jackets are sized for a naval pilot with rippling abs, so I'd go at least one size larger at a minimum. Unless you want a really tight jacket that only fits over a T-shirt.

The manufacturers vary per mil contract, but this one would be the real stuff. It can be bought at the store in the US Naval Air Museum (or mail order) in Pensacola Florida for $400.00. which is a good price.

http://www.navalaviation.com/Clothing/Mens-Navy-G1-Bomber-Jacket/PAAAIAOCHKNOIMAJ/3008/Product

They can also be found at places like US Wings, a store for pilots here in Ohio. Which is a decent place to get an idea of the different types of pilot jackets available. Both traditional and current. but I always though of their prices as being premium high. I did see one G1 lambskin jacket on sale that is worthy at $224.00, sizes large and up. At that price I think I might buy a new one. They also do high quality restorations and repairs. edit: changed my mind, the lambskin is a lightweight 3 season jacket, not for Winter.

http://www.uswings.com/g-1.asp

And the originals were goatskin, the newer ones are cowhide. The goatskin is both warmer and cooler than cowhide. If that makes any sense. Goatskin lets air in and moisture out.

Also note that the real stuff is thick leather, and pretty much functions as armor for a pilot.

Edited by ReconRat

I would like this but agree, the suck factor worries me as there will be a huge amount of pressure on them to make this as good if not better then the original. And yes, this is Def one of my all time favorite movies. Joined the Navy in part to the movie and My families Naval Service. And is Painfully obvious where my screen name came from. :lol:

I think part of what made the movie so enduring is that Simpson (and probably Bruckheimer too for all we know) were so busy doing mountains of coke, banging hookers, and watching cool fighters flying around to really give a fuck what was going on on set, giving true creative control to the director and actors. :)