questions about the hartford county fair demo derby.

cOoTeR

I know there's a couple guys on here from the area and I vaguely remember someone saying they participated in the Derby at the Hartford fair in croton. They do have a compact class right? Also does anyone know what psi the fuel pump for a 98 neon runs at? I plan on building a compact car from a neon so if anyone needs some interior parts or mirrors and windows let me know. I'll sell em cheap.

I know there's a couple guys on here from the area and I vaguely remember someone saying they participated in the Derby at the Hartford fair in croton. They do have a compact class right? Also does anyone know what psi the fuel pump for a 98 neon runs at? I plan on building a compact car from a neon so if anyone needs some interior parts or mirrors and windows let me know. I'll sell em cheap.

I've done it a few times. They have had compact classes before but I think last year they had barely enough for a heat. I would assume they would this year too unless they don't get enough for a heat. They'd probably let you run in the full size. I had a car once that was just a couple inches too long for the compacts so I ran in the full size. I was able to out maneuver them very well.

If you get on to http://www.hartfordfair.com, you can get all the rules and regs when they are updated.

Fuel pressure is about 48psi for the Neon.

98 Neon sux, since it probably has the "returnless" fuel system, which means the fuel pressure regulator is in the fuel tank (pump module.)

Chevy, do you remember on that Stratus you're talking about that you ran if it had a return, or was it fine without?

The fuel pump "trick" is to use a fuel cell (or some sort of approved tank mounted in the passenger compartment, per rules) and run a fuel pump for a Ford truck , or van that uses the frame mounted pump. Something from the late 80's to early 90's. I *think* that neon will run well enough just running the pump straight to it.

It is required to have a fuel cell inside the car, at least by Hartford's regs.

And yes I had to run a return line on the Stratus.

Well, I'm not sure how the Neon would do with the returnless system. I think if you use the Ford truck pump, it won't run at high enough of a pressure to be a problem, but I would have to verify to be sure.

I have the rules it mentions the compact class but I wasn't sure if I remembered them having a compact class. The neon isn't my first choice but its fairly cheap. I saw on the rules it says that a maximum of 3" of rubber hose can be at each end of the fuel line. I was going to run rubber hose till I found that out. I'm now planning on copper tubing. Is that what you would recommend? Also in the rules it says only 3 gallons of fuel but most tanks I've found are 5 gallons. Can I use that and only put 3 gallons in it?

I have the rules it mentions the compact class but I wasn't sure if I remembered them having a compact class. The neon isn't my first choice but its fairly cheap. I saw on the rules it says that a maximum of 3" of rubber hose can be at each end of the fuel line. I was going to run rubber hose till I found that out. I'm now planning on copper tubing. Is that what you would recommend? Also in the rules it says only 3 gallons of fuel but most tanks I've found are 5 gallons. Can I use that and only put 3 gallons in it?

I just always ran rubber hose, usually a foot or two. Never had any issues. I can't remember what size fuel cell we used but I don't think they'd care 3 gallon vs 5 gallon.