BeaveRun w/ WERA 6/18/11 (roll call)

redkow97

I will be there donning my orange shirt. Probably pitting with my friends Ryan & Dan who will both race "C" classes.

Pretty sure Steve and Nathan are coming as well, so that's:

redkow97 (Chris) #524

natedogg (Nathan) #425

SJC1000 (Steve) #305

Foster (Ben) #535

non ORDN members who I will likely pit near if I can find them.

(Dan) #342 (blue/orange R6, but was wrecked recently, so maybe primer?)

(Ryan) #171 (green/black 636)

others?

Edited by redkow97

pppffft... I like the shirt. I can give people a harder time if I beat them with an orange shirt on.

If you're racing BSS at Beave, I will probably be on that grid. Double practice sessions Sunday morning :D

Probably doing: Middleweight Solo 20, CSS, CSB, and BSS (although I may drop one of those last two if the weather is dodgy for Sunday; probably CSB to retain the additional practice time)

I hear ya but I only do this to pose and it really messes with my image. :cool:

Yep I'll be doing HWT Solo, BSS, BSB, and ASS. BSS should be fun, I like racing with people I know and there should be quite a few in that class.

I'm on a mission to catch Steve some time this year :D

I'm sure he's got a horsepower advantage, but I'm also guessing he's got about 20 lbs on me, so fair is fair.

BSS should be a good time. Am I the only one not running a camera?

^ sucks man. Get well soon.

Do you usually pre-register? The discount is obviously nice, but with questionable weather, and no chance of a sell-out, I'm kind of tempted to chance it...

Was looking to do 3 or 4 races, but Saturday looks a little dodgy (although I know it's way early to be saying that), and i was going to pass on the solo 20 maybe... Thoughts?

The one thing I've found with Saturdays is a ton of down time; too much down time for my taste. Lots of guys use the solo's to get comfortable on the track for Sunday, but you obviously won't have that issue being at Beave. If you've got rains and are going to run regardless I'd just pre-register; but if you don't then I'd wait.

Due to this past weekends crash, I wont be able to make this most likely. I may have the bile up and running but doubt I will be healed up enough.

Sorry to hear Steve, sucks that you got taken out. Hopefully I'll see you out there again soon.

If your wanting to save energy then you can skip the solo, but its nice to have that extra practice also if your feeling questionable. I think beaver would be very similar to nelson in terms of grip, and in the rain it would be pretty good...but just my opinion since I've not done a rain day there. If your not sure, just don't pre-register and show up and eat the $10 or whatever.

I didn't pre-register this time as I had two weeks since summit and obviously I'm glad I didn't. =/

BUMP! One week away, and after riding on Sunday, I am even more pumped for this event.

By the 3rd session on Sunday, I was into the 1:07's, and still felt like I had a lot of places I could improve. I really need to review the laps on my timer, but I know my best last year was a single lap in the :06's.

last session of the day on Sunday, I was doing consistent :06's. Not bad for my first (full) day back on track :D

There are at least 4 things I know I can do better, and shave more than a second:

- brake later for T1. I kept having to accelerate through T1, even after passing people on the brakes...

- Stay on the gas more over the hill (between 6 & 7)

- Take T10 in 2nd gear for better drive out.

- get my upper body off the bike more, so I'm not so crossed-up. I was getting better with this, but it's a work in progress.

:05's should be very attainable next weekend with faster people to chase :D

Friday bump before racing tomorrow. If anyone rides up to spectate, I'll have shade for you to 'borrow.'

I can't promise gatorade, because I just don't have that much cooler space, but I'll toss you the keys to my tow vehicle and there's a gas station like a mile away.

I'm on a mission to catch Steve some time this year :D

I'm sure he's got a horsepower advantage, but I'm also guessing he's got about 20 lbs on me, so fair is fair.

BSS should be a good time. Am I the only one not running a camera?

man i can't wait to get out there again. i need to do some laps!!!!

i dont know if i can do grattan in a few weeks because ill probably be moving in to my new place...

5th, 9th, and 4th today. Didn't improve my best time, but rode consistently and brought it home on 2 wheels.

I think the biggest difference was that I had a great grid position yesterday, and got my best start as well. Today was harder, but also more motivating. More passes to make, etc.

Grids were still pretty light, but a lot of people showed up Saturday afternoon, and 3 people from the saturday race school were in the C races. They all had good pace, so there were quite a few orange shirts on the lead lap.

Okay, now that I'm not trying to craft a response on an iPhone "keyboard," a few more details.

First, I have to thank my pit buddies Dan and Ryan. They lurk more than they post, but my weekend was far less stressful and more fun because of them.

Second, Ben (Foster) got effing fast over the last couple years. Great job to him this weekend, holding his own against some bigger bikes, and mostly experts on his grids. Dude is rolling 2-3 seconds a lap faster than me, and it has ZERO to do with the extra 150cc's. Pretty sure he got a podium spot in the B Superstock race that ended the day on Sunday. I finished 1 place behind him, but that doesn't reflect the distance he had on me. Great riding from Ben.

Besides all the procedural stuff, I learned a laundry list of things to help me next round:

- my closeout EXO 400 was 3 years old when I bought it, and will now FAIL wera tech...

- grid position means a LOT, because the start of the race means everything. The shorter the race, the more important the start. The fast guys WILL be out front by the end of the first lap, and even if you can match their pace, without them to "chase," it's very very difficult to keep up. There's a reason my best lap times were run when I was in 3rd place, chasing the first two guys. Once 2 riders came by me and left me for dead, I was on my own, and slowed down unintentionally.

- the solo 20 is freakin exhausting!! by lap 12, you just want it to be over. Seeing the white flag is like coming down stairs Christmas morning when you're 6 years old.

- racing is totally different than trackdays in MANY respects. To name a few, I use less gas, but more tire. I paid $270 in entry fees instead of $315 in trackday fees, but rode a lot less often. There is MUCH more "hanging out" at a race day, but that's actually kind of nice. The days end earlier at a race day as well, so you get home sooner on Sunday. At a race day, practice is practice, and racing is serious business. At a trackday, it's all practice. I definitely see the appeal of both.

- I think I have to invest in tire warmers. the last thing I need is a turn 1 cold tire crash, and even if the warmers did nothing and only added peace of mind, they'd be worth it... My Q2's performed amazingly this weekend. I just made sure to be as aggressive as I dared on the warm-up lap, and they never slid or did anything crazy into turn 1, or any time on the first lap. Frankly, I may have a hard time rationalizing race rubber when I buy my next set of tires. We'll see...

Grats man, its definitely a different animal compared to a trackday. Sounds like you were running pretty well also, PM me your times since I know wera/mylaps will take a bit...and I'm interested in seeing how much faster I need to pick my pace up ;) If either of you or nate want to go..I'm hoping to make the National at Summit my return weekend on 7/29-31. Pending I can bend my finger enough to grip the bar :(

Edited by SJC1000rr

I'll check my schedule for Summit. Definitely interested.

my fast laps were in the 1:05.6 range. I was consistently in the :06's throughout the Solo, until I got tired and backed off the last 3 or 4 laps. I was running alone, with no chance of catching the guy ahead of me, and had a big enough gap that only a screw-up would have allowed the guy behind me to catch me (I looked back exiting T10 and saw the next rider braking for 10)

Sunday's races produced slower times, but still consistent :06's and some low :07's.

I really need someone to chase though. I'll have to look again, but I think in one of my races, lap 1 was my fastest. that means adrenaline and chasing faster guys matters a LOT.

Solo 20 (my best ride of the weekend)

1308579443.jpg

C Superbike (decent, but not great)

1308579005.jpg

C Superstock (worst performance. Experts were in the first wave and as a result, they lapped me on the final turn of THEIR last lap. I never got the white flag, and I WOULD have hunted down the Duc 848 ahead of me on that final lap, or crashed trying. "Determined" does not begin to describe it, but I didn't want to effect the Expert leaders, and backed off to avoid hitting one of them when they kind of stuffed me going into T10. Had I known they were there, I would have taken a different line)

1308578922.jpg

B SuperStock (best result of the weekend, but I'm still prouder of the Solo times)

1308578830.jpg

Edited by redkow97
pictures added.

i did the solo at nelson and by the end of the race i was dizzy and sore from the bumps.

I drank a gatorade before my race instead of water. Bad idea. Around lap 15, I tried to swallow between turns 4 and 5, and basically had sugary goop in my throat.

I almost threw up in my mouth on the back straight. That's about when I realized that slowing down a tad was going to be smart, and necessary...

Yeah, having that carrot in front of you can really help you push it harder and run good times until you get use to a specific track. I've been in the same rut where its almost like turning laps until you have some competition. I think I was running around the same times last year with my fastest in a 1:04 range. At summit and I just couldn't get below a 1:26 in practice...and I was doing 21/22s last year. Then in races I finally got some balls again and was running consistent 22s and low 21's. Hoping to get down into the 20s and maybe a high 19 to finish the year there.

And Solos can be very physically demanding on your body. I remember my first one at Grattan last year...I was screaming "wave the flag in my helmet" lol. Thats why I skip them since they don't pay money anymore and just focus on the sprints. I'd rather have 2-3 fast/short races then 1 long one that drains me. The guys that do those endurance races blow my mind...theres no way I could spend that much time and focus for that long without lobbing it into the treeline.

Edited by SJC1000rr