F*ck delta airlines

f4isvt

why don't they just charge it to their gtc? A guy that deployed with me ran into the same problem when he checked in all his gear and did not have his gtc activated (american airlines)

Edit- and finance will reimburse any out of pocket travel expenses upon arrival at their duty station, you just have to fill out the in processing paperwork and have a copy of your receipt (or any proof of expense) if the charge is over $50. for expenses under $50 you can simply report it on the form and get your money back (taxi, baggage carts, tips, etc...)

Edited by obesityrules

Maybe they should've flown USAir.........but 'tis quite the load of bullshit to be charged by an American airline company to get your belongings home from fighting for the very country in which they're based - like the gov't couldn't roll those expenses in with their $1000 toilet seats and multi-billion $ warcraft?? WTF?!?!

I'm calling either error by Delta employees or bullshit info.

http://www.delta.com/traveling_checkin/baggage/checked/index.jsp

Active duty U.S. military personnel traveling on orders to or from duty stations are allowed up to four checked bags in Economy Class and up to five checked bags in First and Business Class on Delta and Delta Connection® carriers at no charge. Each bag may weigh up to 70 lbs. (32 kg) and measure up to 80 linear inches (203 cm).

Additionally, military personnel traveling on personal business will be allowed two checked bags up to 50 lbs (23 kg) and 62 linear inches (158 cm) at no charge.

I'm calling either error by Delta employees or bullshit info.

http://www.delta.com/traveling_checkin/baggage/checked/index.jsp

Active duty U.S. military personnel traveling on orders to or from duty stations are allowed up to four checked bags in Economy Class and up to five checked bags in First and Business Class on Delta and Delta Connection® carriers at no charge. Each bag may weigh up to 70 lbs. (32 kg) and measure up to 80 linear inches (203 cm).

Additionally, military personnel traveling on personal business will be allowed two checked bags up to 50 lbs (23 kg) and 62 linear inches (158 cm) at no charge.

I was just going to copy and paste that.

Capitalism FTW. Gov't has to pay to use private services just like you and me. Why should Delta give them a break?

You are correct, they are a private company and they can do as they please. My problem is that some corporate idiot probably has an issue with are military (lib or bed wetter), and this has nothing to do with what you claim, but rather personal politics.

All in all, this is bad PR for a company any way you look at it.

WASHINGTON -- Delta Air Lines is facing intense criticism after charging 34 U.S. soldiers returning from Afghanistan $2,800 in baggage fees.

The incident came to light on Tuesday after a couple of the new-media savvy soldiers recorded a video about their ordeal and posted it on YouTube.

"We showed up and found out we had too many bags," said Army Staff Sgt. Robert O'Hair in the video, which was shot on their flight. "We had four bags, and Delta Air Lines only allows three bags. Anything over three bags you have to pay for, even though there's a contract between the United States government and Delta Air Lines: When returning from Afghanistan on military orders, you're authorized up to four bags."

O'Hair added that all the soldiers with a fourth bag had to pay $200 out-of-pocket. The total for the 34 soldiers was more than $2,800. O'Hair's fourth piece of luggage was his weapons case, carrying the tools he used, in his words, to "protect myself and Afghan citizens while I was deployed in the country."

if they're being reimbursed, i really don't see what the big deal is.

If Delta has a contract w/ the military that specifies 4 bags, then Uncle Sam can sue Delta for breach of contract. Given how blatant the infraction seems, I bet a dollar Delta settles immediately, or just allows a default judgment against themselves to avoid any legal fees.

the deal to me is not reimbursing or not reimbursing its the pure of act of bullshit to charge in the first place. I understand the gtc card and contract delta may have set up and even the company rules for baggage charge it still to me is utter bullshit to charge the soldiers coming home. If my wife would have had to pay coming home I would have been pissed. Cause reimbursement isnt a quick easy thing.

they issue military members a government travel card for incidents exactly like this (unexpected travel expenses), it has been happening for years it just so happens that these guys recorded it. all they had to do was hand over their gtc, it gets charged to their travel card account and gets reimbursed when inprocessing. the service member never hands over a dime out of their pocket.

what is bullshit is our servicemen and women being harassed by tsa officials while going through immigration or security check areas.

so privately held companies shouldn't be allowed to charge the government for things? that's ridiculous.

What the soldiers are or aren't doing when they reach their destination has nothing to do with Delta.

what is bullshit is our servicemen and women being harassed by tsa officials while going through immigration or security check areas.

Truth. I saw a uniformed Marine getting the full-court press from some TSA shithead at John Wayne International on Monday night. What's the motivation there? Power trip? This was a TSA 'agent' who looked to be in his 60's. The ~35 yr old Marine could have easily kicked the ass of all 3 'security agents' standing by if he'd wanted to be less cooperative.

The TSA irritates teh fuck out of me on principle, but if we're going to allow douchebags to hassle us during travel, I'd at least like them to be douchebags who can handle their shit. TSA seems to be either large overweight black women, or elderly white men. Neither are going to stop a serious terror threat.

My problem is that some corporate idiot probably has an issue with are military (lib or bed wetter), and this has nothing to do with what you claim, but rather personal politics.

Sounds like you're the one with the personal bias... but I could argue that it'd be the exact opposite. The liberal, pro-gov't 'bed wetter' would most likely support the gov't and retract the charges, but the pro-big business, anti-tax, corporate conservative exec wants their money over everything else.

Truth. I saw a uniformed Marine getting the full-court press from some TSA shithead at John Wayne International on Monday night. What's the motivation there? Power trip? This was a TSA 'agent' who looked to be in his 60's. The ~35 yr old Marine could have easily kicked the ass of all 3 'security agents' standing by if he'd wanted to be less cooperative.

The TSA irritates teh fuck out of me on principle, but if we're going to allow douchebags to hassle us during travel, I'd at least like them to be douchebags who can handle their shit. TSA seems to be either large overweight black women, or elderly white men. Neither are going to stop a serious terror threat.

Bingo. Stopping WELL short of militarization, but yes.

Im military and I could careless about this.

If theyre coming from down range, they are on official orders and will be reimbursed.

Everyone talking about a GTC should STFU because DoD is transitioning from those to a CSA. Unexpected travel expenses are now a PITA to deal with since we're using CSAs.

Poor Johnny is not paying for his checked bags, taxpayers are.

Do I appreciate Airlines offering free checked bags on NON-OFFICIAL travel..why yes bc I do travel alot. Do I raise hell if I dont, no bc im on NON-OFFICIAL travel.