Physicists Trap Antimatter

Cypress

If you come across any gerontological, biological, disease etiology, zoological, or botanical breakthroughs, feel free to PM me with links!

Like the production of dark matter after eating White Castle burgers? :D

Don't know what anti-matter is. :dunno: I know it has something to do with anti-matter though. :D I did wikipedia and didn't get it after the first 2 sentences. :lol: I know that matter is a general term for the substance of which all physical objects consist so anti-matter I don't know wtf their talking about. :confused:

Think about sound cancelling headphones. They detect sounds that might interfere with your music, and send out the exact opposite of that sound. Anti-matter is that. It's the exact opposite of matter.

If something is positively charged normally, it's anti-matter would be negatively charged. When the two meet, they cancel out. Instead of silence though, there's a tremendous explosion with a lot energy.

It's like Bizarro world from the Superman Comics.

wait till you hear about dark matter...

Dark matter is just the name for stuff that we don't/can't see.

Everything we can see has mass. When they totaled up the mass, astronomers realized it wasn't enough to account for how the universe is working.

Basically, galaxies were moving to fast and there was "to much" gravity based on their visible mass. So the idea came about that there was more to the universe than we could see, stuff was still in the dark. Dark matter.

It's one of those things that the effects can be seen, but it can't be seen directly. Like black holes.

What get's really crazy is when you start to figure out where dark matter came from. Eventually you track everything back to a point in history where our laws of physics break down and make no sense whatsoever.

Edited by dorifto240

Actually, it's both moving too fast and moving too slow. There's missing dark matter pulling on existing visible matter, making move slower. And missing "dark energy" which is assumed to be pushing or pulling on existing matter, making it move faster. The problem is with the dark energy, it really is a big unknown. Even the never ending expansion of the universe is in question. There just isn't enough data to make assumptions like that. It is only what we see now, by looking at what happened in the distant past. We have no clue what is happening currently in the universe, since it is simply too far away.

Actually, it's both moving too fast and moving too slow. There's missing dark matter pulling on existing visible matter, making move slower. And missing "dark energy" which is assumed to be pushing or pulling on existing matter, making it move faster. The problem is with the dark energy, it really is a big unknown. Even the never ending expansion of the universe is in question. There just isn't enough data to make assumptions like that. It is only what we see now, by looking at what happened in the distant past. We have no clue what is happening currently in the universe, since it is simply too far away.

With any presence of friction, I would believe that it would slow down. The "dark energy" is causing the friction of visible matter against dark matter. Expansion (dark energy against matter) and speed of friction (dark matter against visible matter) are two different things. I guess you can see it as possible introduction of more dark energy causing an increase of expansion giving the appearance of it going faster, but that doesn't mean dark energy as a whole has increased speed. However, since it's an unknown, that could very well be wrong. We've been proven wrong many times before.

I know right? It's the simple things in life... bunch nerds in here talking about dark matter and anti-matter. :p

Every time I hear dark matter I think of this guy.

nibbler.gif

How'd you wander in on a nerd thread to begin with? Just admit you're nerd-curious

geek01-anim-animated-animation-geek-smiley-emoticon-000341-medium.gif

Nibbler is the cutest (except when he talks).

Yes, JRM is a nerd on occasions, and is extremely quick with an internet search. Now if he would just quit mass quoting entire countries and start writing his own stuff, I'd be happy.

With any presence of friction, I would believe that it would slow down. The "dark energy" is causing the friction of visible matter against dark matter. Expansion (dark energy against matter) and speed of friction (dark matter against visible matter) are two different things. I guess you can see it as possible introduction of more dark energy causing an increase of expansion giving the appearance of it going faster, but that doesn't mean dark energy as a whole has increased speed. However, since it's an unknown, that could very well be wrong. We've been proven wrong many times before.

I'd rather think the dark energy was caused by friction or interaction of visible matter against dark matter. But it's more likely to be just energy in empty vacuum that we suspect is out there everywhere. We just can't find it yet. Nor understand it or it's source, since it seems to be quite different.

NASA finds 100 million mile wide magnetic bubbles on the outer edge of our solar system (heliosheath). This is the "bow shock wave" of our solar system. No one knew they were there, nor what it means. The Voyagers found them. Basically empty space is a froth of energy.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2011/06/110609-magnetic-bubbles-solar-system-nasa-space-science/

http://science1.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2009/23dec_voyager/