Physicists Trap Antimatter

Cypress

Don't know what anti-matter is. :dunno: I know it has something to do with anti-matter though. :D I did wikipedia and didn't get it after the first 2 sentences. :lol: I know that matter is a general term for the substance of which all physical objects consist so anti-matter I don't know wtf their talking about. :confused:

Edited by NinjaNick

Well, an anti-matter engine still needs to carry regular matter to react with. So that would be like... water for fuel. Which is still heavy. Too heavy to be practical. But there are novel designs that get around that. Use the heat of the anti matter reaction, to generate standard electrical power in a heat cycle turbine with generators. Then generate propulsion with something like an ion engine that runs on electrical input and ion output. Maybe not the best power output, but it's always on and has a lighter airframe. (spaceframe?)

Until some one invents a null gravity device, we won't be going anywhere too fast with ordinary reactive mass propulsion. But even that is possible, since it's rumored to already be in use experimentally.

edit: btw, the US Navy claimed to have perfected an anti matter drive back in the mid 90s. Although they admitted to a small problem, the containment for the anti matter was about 1000 feet in diameter. Sort of a round aircraft carrier. I would imagine somebody has a smaller one by now. But there still isn't a steady supply of anti matter to use for fuel yet.

Edited by ReconRat

its crazy how Dan Brown mentions this stuff in his fiction book Angels&Demon, makes me feel like CERN has created anti-matter years ago, but are just publishing it now. Hope the Black Hole theories aren't true, it would suck to kinda get sucked into oblivion.

its crazy how Dan Brown mentions this stuff in his fiction book Angels&Demon, makes me feel like CERN has created anti-matter years ago, but are just publishing it now. Hope the Black Hole theories aren't true, it would suck to kinda get sucked into oblivion.

I haven't read that book. I will now. The US Air Force has also made similar claims about stuff. Anti matter, anti gravity, quick trips to Mars, etc.

I still don't think it all works quite right or as well as it should. But somebody somewhere is trying really hard to make it happen.

There's a thing about humans, that NASA has noticed. We'll take a type of propulsion engine, and push it till it will go as fast as it can. Steam, reciprocating, jet turbine, rocket, etc. When the limit is reached, we start looking for something better, and find it. And do the same thing over again. We've reached those limits again, and something new is on the horizon.

I haven't read that book. I will now. The US Air Force has also made similar claims about stuff. Anti matter, anti gravity, quick trips to Mars, etc.

I still don't think it all works quite right or as well as it should. But somebody somewhere is trying really hard to make it happen.

There's a thing about humans, that NASA has noticed. We'll take a type of propulsion engine, and push it till it will go as fast as it can. Steam, reciprocating, jet turbine, rocket, etc. When the limit is reached, we start looking for something better, and find it. And do the same thing over again. We've reached those limits again, and something new is on the horizon.

I like you

Since you sound like a science nerd (like myself), have you had a chance to read this article yet?

http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/news/4358/aussie-student-find-missing-mass

As far as anti-matter, you're right, it can not be used on its own. It must collide with matter in order to form energy. I think the possibilities of harnessing it for use is somewhat impractical. I do believe that harnessing it is very important to the advancement of technology and understanding our universe and I am very excited to see they are making progress.

Since you sound like a science nerd (like myself), have you had a chance to read this article yet?

http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/news/4358/aussie-student-find-missing-mass

As far as anti-matter, you're right, it can not be used on its own. It must collide with matter in order to form energy. I think the possibilities of harnessing it for use is somewhat impractical. I do believe that harnessing it is very important to the advancement of technology and understanding our universe and I am very excited to see they are making progress.

Yes, keeping up with that. The other missing mass might be the discovery of dark mass blocking light from stars that they don't orbit. Wanderers. A Kepler other type discovery, while looking for planets in other solar systems. Either cold planets out of orbit or dead stars or both. Apparently assumed to be a lot of them out there that we can't see.

It's the dark energy that still remains a mystery.

This week, discovery of super atoms. Although I think it would actually be a super molecule. Iron with 8 magnesium in a shell. (I'm thinking of M&Ms.) Magnetic with conductive properties. Possible candidate for data storage.

edit linky: http://esciencenews.com/articles/2011/06/08/researchers.discover.superatoms.with.magnetic.shells

Edited by ReconRat

Yes, keeping up with that. The other missing mass might be the discovery of dark mass blocking light from stars that they don't orbit. Wanderers. A Kepler other type discovery, while looking for planets in other solar systems. Either cold planets out of orbit or dead stars or both. Apparently assumed to be a lot of them out there that we can't see.

It's the dark energy that still remains a mystery.

This week, discovery of super atoms. Although I think it would actually be a super molecule. Iron with 8 magnesium in a shell. (I'm thinking of M&Ms.) Magnetic with conductive properties. Possible candidate for data storage.

Although astronomy, cosmology, or celestial mechanics aren't my main area of interest, I still try to keep up here and there. Personally, I don't think it could ever be narrowed down to one particular reason for missing mass. There are too many factors and the fact we can not see is the main one lol. Maybe in time, but not our lifetime, there may be some more insight into dark energy. If only Einstein had a longer lifespan to work on his idea of cosmological constant theory. I am still getting my feet wet in these areas. My brain can only take in so much information before it starts to hurt lol. I'm going to stop discussing any more on the topic before I start spewing things I don't know much about :p

If you come across any gerontological, biological, disease etiology, zoological, or botanical breakthroughs, feel free to PM me with links!