Sears Torque Wrenchs

r1crusher

Sears Craftsman has indeed gone downhill. And so has a lot of other brands and sources. Choose wisely. I've not had any problems with mine, and yes, I torque everything and occasionally tear an engine down. Not near as much engine work as I used to do.

Accuracy? I took all my torque wrenches to the aviation school where they had calibration. All passed. Both the beam and the clickers. Most everyone had equipment that passed. Which probably means within 5%, I forget the limits. If you abuse, break, or drop a torque wrench, it needs to be calibrated or replaced.

Having said all that, the last time I used my Craftsman inch-pound wrench, I didn't like the way it was working. It seems to be over torquing, and I will have to check it out before trying to use it again. I sense something wrong. It's only what, 20-30 years old?

edit: I've been buying a lot of tools at Harbor Freight and Lowes and even Ace hardware. And I don't like some of the Kobalt tools. Junk.

Edited by ReconRat

at home calibration for cheap asses: measure your wrench, put a certain weight on one end. say... duct tape a 20 lb dumbbell to it. it should be at the center of the handle. stick it on a rigid fastener horizontally. read the torque, divide it by the length. does that equal the weight?

if it's near enough you're good. this isn't a nuclear bomb you're working on. :-/

Pretty much true. One ft-lb of torque means one pound of force applied to the handle at a distance of one foot from the axis of rotation (socket). Only problem I see is that you'll want to check the calibration across the entire range of adjustment. When you get to duct-taping that 150 lb dumbbell to the handle, be sure to account for the 75 lbs of duct tape!