The only thing worse than ...

Scruit

The only thing worse than having to remove and reinstall a gas tank in a car while you have a broken ankle in a cast is....

...Having to do it twice because your stupid dumb ass forgot the f*ckin' o-ring between the pump housing and the top of the tank. :mad:

This is in the Gimpmobile (the cheap car I bought to get around while my ankle heals for the next 2-3 months because I can't ride or drive my stickshift)

Spent yesterday putting a new alternator in there, charging the A/C and doing the R&R on the tank so I could put the o-ring on. Only figured out I'd forgotten it when I tanked up at a gas station and the last gallon was dumped directly on the floor when the fill level got above the o-ring. Let it sit for a while to finish leaking and evaporate then drove home carefully and siphoned the gas out the tank. :mad: Luckily, the second time you do a job like this is always much quicker than the first. The tank was out and back in in about 2.5 hours, including the time to siphon 18 gallons out of it with a hose. :nono:

So I finally have the car where I need it and it only required 1 week of overlap with the rental car to give it a shake-down and get it running just right. Now for 2-3 months of driving it around until I can drive stick again.

My riding season, though, is probably over. :cry: MRI confirms my Anterior Talofibular and Calcaneofibular ligamaments were completely torn, 3 other ligaments were partially torn and one was ripped off the bone taking part of the bone with it (an "Avulsion" fracture). I can't even walk more than 20' without the aircast, never mind support a bike that tries to tip over.

Edited by Scruit

That sucks but I've been there a couple times. Having prices left over after a repair is so frustrating! I usually figure it out when I'm cleaning up and find a part just laying on the ground, then I have to decide if it's important enough to put it in or if I can just say screw it lol.

In my case the old o-ring was covered in rust so it looked like part of the tank, looked like there was no o-ring. After the tank leaked I went back to the box that the new tank came in and found the lock ring and o-ring. DUH me.