Smartphone with Bluetooth GPS - Does One Even Exist?

Jcarlson

I have a Cardo Scala Rider Q2 bluetooth commo system that we use when riding. It can receive GPS commands via bluetooth so I can hear them in my helmet speakers. The problem is the Garmin Zumo GPS that does this costs $700. Fuck that!!

Most GPS units that have bluetooth use it for the phone so you can make calls through the GPS while driving. That's not what I want. My Cardo can do that too. I want to hear the driving directions inside my helmet.

Is there a smartphone/app that can send GPS commands bluetooth to my helmet system?

I have an iPhone and I use Magellan Roadmate. I have the Midland BT2 bluetooth installed in my Shoei helmet and if I ever go somewhere that I don't know, the Magellan app is perfect. I can listen to music while getting turn by turn directions via bluetooth.

I use my HTC Incredible and stream music through bluetooth to my chatter box. I am also able to use the GPS on the phone and it will cut the music out and give me the directions and then the music comes back in.

Does GPS work when you dont have service?

I am not sure about this, I have never ran into this situation before.

Tyler how does the chatterbox speakers sound for music?

I think it sounds pretty good for what it is, it is a lot more convenient than having to put in earbuds and everything. Plus, it is nice to be able to switch songs and change the volume while riding by just hitting the buttons on the chatterbox.

yeah even my cheap ol huawei acsend from cricket will.

I'm sure any phone will since that's the point of having bluetooth so you can hear the phone with the device instead of the phone speaker.

mine will even talk through a phone converstation so I don't miss any turns.

Edited by serpentracer

I have an iPhone and I use Magellan Roadmate. I have the Midland BT2 bluetooth installed in my Shoei helmet and if I ever go somewhere that I don't know, the Magellan app is perfect. I can listen to music while getting turn by turn directions via bluetooth.

Same setup I have, except I use TomTom

Does GPS work when you dont have service?

Tyler how does the chatterbox speakers sound for music?

The TomTom app works without cell service.

Well I don't currently have a smartphone. I have a flip phone and it has VZ Navigator but that won't transmit via bluetooth. You have to have the phone open to use it and it only works on the phone speakers. It won't even work with an ear bud.

I'm up for a renewal and figured I'd come into the 90's atleast and get a better phone, and one with BT/GPS would be the shit.

My Cardo does phone, GPS, Bike to bike (up to two bikes), bike to rider and/or another bike, built in FM radio and MP3, all of which sound great. Good distance too - almost 1/4 mile depending.

Probably about the same as Chatterbox I s'pose.

Any other brands of phones do this?

Edited by Jcarlson

btw, I've been using my phone with Google navigation while following these guys I work with that have a tom tom. their shit is always taking us to odd places. it has us turn into a damn mall parking lot before and said that was the address.

we've had to resort to using my phone 4 out of 10 times so far. and it has always taken us straight to the correct address every time.