Lawnmower acting up again, WTB used mower??

SWing'R

Anyone know where I can pickup a decent used mower?

Mine is acting up again and I gonna need to get a replacement by the weekend.

Rather not buy new if I don't have to. Just needs to run okay and it has to be mulcher.

Or, if anyone in the Columbus area can come over and fix my damn mower, I'll pay ya.

It starts fine, but now it's throttling up and down on its own, not running steady like it should.

The govenor paddle is pulsing back n forth. The mower doesn't have a throttle control, just a lever

you pull to engage it. Don't know small engines, don't know how to fix it. :dunno:

Sounds like running lean or rich, or back and forth. If it's Briggs & Stratton (what isn't) get a carb kit that included the diaphragm, gasket and spring (along with a o-ring, and plastic thing that connects the carb to the intake tube on the engine).

The fuel diaphragm (and spring) does the job of a fuel pump. In a very simple way.

The diaphragm wears out, gets brittle, won't work, starts surging, etc.

edit: I'd do new carb for $18 bucks. That's cheap. When mine died I went to Lowes and got a 100 buck cheap lawnmower.

Path of least resistance.

Edited by ReconRat

Sounds like running lean. If it's Briggs & Stratton (what isn't) get a carb kit that included the diaphragm, gasket and spring (along with a o-ring, and plastic thing that connects the carb to the intake tube on the engine).

The fuel diaphragm (and spring) does the job of a fuel pump. In a very simple way.

The diaphragm wears out, gets brittle, won't work, starts surging, etc.

edit: I'd do new carb for $18 bucks. That's cheap. When mine died I went to Lowes and got a 100 buck cheap lawnmower.

Path of least resistance.

Yeah, I don't really want to mess with it and try to repair it, I don't have any real good place to work on it.

The mower was given to me a few years ago by a neighbor that moved.

We live in a condo development where we don't even need to cut, they do it, but because I cut it on my own

(because they do a shitty job) they skip our yard and my neighbors (I cut his too) now the grass needs cut

and the service has already cut the rest of the place so now I need to scramble to either get it repaired or buy a new/used one.

I may end taking the quick and easy way...Walmart has a 20" weed eater brand mower

for $125 with mulching capabilty, guessing that means a add-on kit.

The engine looks like the same exact one on my current mower... B&S 158cc

only difference is a 1in smaller cut. Online reviews of the mower look okay.

I bought one on cl for 30 bucks from some backwoods guy that does lawnmower repair. Looks like shit but starts every pull so far this season.

Yeah, I found one on CL for $30 also, just got a email back from the guy,

its still available, its a 20in mulcher in Dublin. Guess I'll go look at that

tomorrow night after work.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/grd/2499386752.html

The guy from CL never called me back today about coming over to

see the mower and I needed to get the grass cut so I bought a new

one from Walmart, a 22in mulcher for $145.

The pic below is my new one. If anyone wants my old one, you're welcome to it,

you just need to come pick it up. PM me or call me at the number listed in my sig.

2011-07-21195339.jpg

Why not just call the condo mgr. and tell them to have the landscapers come back and hit it?

You ARE paying for it.

I don't want them in my yard except to fertilize.

Rosso you're so tight when you fart only dogs can hear it. :D

That said, I can't believe you bought a mower when your complex handles it. :dunno:

Little yards + big mowers = shitty job :(

About a dozen people here cut there own yards, not just me.

I got tired of calling them to complain about the large patches they missed,

or the ruts/damage they caused. Much easier to just do it myself.

I may end taking the quick and easy way...Walmart has a 20" weed eater brand mower

for $125 with mulching capabilty' date=' guessing that means a add-on kit.

The engine looks like the same exact one on my current mower... B&S 158cc

only difference is a 1in smaller cut. Online reviews of the mower look okay.[/quote']

-WARNING_

I bought one of those WallyWorld weedeaters and its the biggest piece of crap.

Why not call a local shop that works on and sells mowers and parts? Check and see if they have anything used. They usually go through them so you could get a good solid mower for less than new $$.

Ah. Using zeroturn machines can rip the crap out of a wet yard. I get what you are saying.

Eggggzactly ;)

-WARNING_

I bought one of those WallyWorld weedeaters and its the biggest piece of crap.

Why not call a local shop that works on and sells mowers and parts? Check and see if they have anything used. They usually go through them so you could get a good solid mower for less than new $$.

Ummm, did you not see that I already bought it? Besides, it has a solid

engine on it so why would it be any less decent than any other brand with the same engine?

I used it last night, worked great.

Yep musta missed the part that you already bought it. My bad. As to the wallymower, I was talking about it lasting. I bought mine just to do trimming, once a week, sometimes I'd skip a week, and before the end of the summer it was giving me all sorts of problems. Maybe you'll have better luck, hope so. Me, I wouldn't buy another one.

Yep musta missed the part that you already bought it....Maybe you'll have better luck, hope so.

If I can get a few years out of it that'd be okay with me, plus I'll try and take care of this one, the other one was given

to me and I never did anything to it besides have the blade sharpened and change the spark plug a month ago.

If buying one off of CL, and its one of those mower rehab guys, he'll probably take yours in as a partial trade.

Already bought new, but if you get his name/number I'll see if he

wants to take my old one, he can have it for free if he comes pick it up.

Plus his name/number would be good to have for any future issues.

Edited by SWing'R

Tip: During mowing season, top off the mower's tank AFTER mowing. That way there's less air in the tank and the gas <should> tend to not deteriorate as quickly. Plus, it's ready to go when you're ready to mow! (I'm a poet and wasn't even aware...)

Tip: Don't use gas with more than 10% ethanol. Gasoline containing ethanol is corrosive and attracts water, neither of which you want.