Sorry, Officer. Lights and sirens won't stop me...

jester3681

... when I'm in my 16,000 ton train doing 40. Sorry to vent here, but you guys seem like a good forum to hear it. Twice in as many trips, I had a police car dart across the tracks in front of me. They both turned their lights on just before they went over and turned them off once they cleared. Now, I have nothing but respect for our men and women in blue, but all those lights mean to me on a train is that the explosion will be more colorful. Let's not make this a physics lesson, but 16,000 tons will not stop before I hit you, lights and sirens or not. And me hitting you in my train is like you hitting a bird in your car. I'll notice it, certainly. There may even be some crap on the windshield. But it's not going to hurt me (though it will most likely kill you), and it most certainly won't hurt my engine which weighs 468,000 pounds and is designed to plow its own snow at 20 mph in the winter.

Sorry for the rant. That is all :rant:

Chevy - Close enough to complain about - lights flashing, gates down.

Scorpion - I'm just a conductor now, not driving them yet. You go to a school for 6 weeks to train and then on the job for about 5 months. It's a fun job, but it's a lifestyle. You spend your life waiting for the phone to ring - no set schedule, really no days off. You have to have a very understanding wife/family - luckily, I married a railroader's daughter.

... when I'm in my 16,000 ton train doing 40. Sorry to vent here, but you guys seem like a good forum to hear it. Twice in as many trips, I had a police car dart across the tracks in front of me. They both turned their lights on just before they went over and turned them off once they cleared. Now, I have nothing but respect for our men and women in blue, but all those lights mean to me on a train is that the explosion will be more colorful. Let's not make this a physics lesson, but 16,000 tons will not stop before I hit you, lights and sirens or not. And me hitting you in my train is like you hitting a bird in your car. I'll notice it, certainly. There may even be some crap on the windshield. But it's not going to hurt me (though it will most likely kill you), and it most certainly won't hurt my engine which weighs 468,000 pounds and is designed to plow its own snow at 20 mph in the winter.

Sorry for the rant. That is all :rant:

I hear you. My father would always tell me stories about this all the time. He has been on locomotives, and hit and killed people. My old man just retired two years ago, with almost 52 years. Our family comes from railroaders, and Law Enforcement. My dad worked on the famous New York Central 20th Century Limted. I almost was going to work on the RR, but my dad said I would have no home life. I know you guys make great money. Stay safe out there.

Chevy - Close enough to complain about - lights flashing, gates down.

Scorpion - I'm just a conductor now, not driving them yet. You go to a school for 6 weeks to train and then on the job for about 5 months. It's a fun job, but it's a lifestyle. You spend your life waiting for the phone to ring - no set schedule, really no days off. You have to have a very understanding wife/family - luckily, I married a railroader's daughter.

where is the schools names and the classes

Yeah, I work for CSX. Apply online - the school is through them.

Kent - Most of the newer engines an even some older ones do have cameras.

Sniper - I married in to a railroad family, so I had a better idea than most what I was getting in to. You're right, you make good money, you're just never home to spend it.

TrainDriver - yeah, I work out of Parsons, protect the C&O side, although I've been getting called for the Conrail stuff a lot since I'm one of the only ones on my side qualified to Avon. Speaking of which, off I go. See you on the rail, sir!