Compression Damping screw stuck all the way out

JStump

So I decided to try and fine tune my suspension today but when I was adjusting the left side front compression damping screw it got stuck all the way out! I wasn't putting a lot of pressure on it to turn it, but when I turned it all the way out it now only goes like 1 click back in and will not go any further. I think I may have stripped the stupid flat head slot trying to get it to go back in so I am going to dremmel another slot into the screw to make it a philips head but why would this be happening?

so I sprayed wd40 on it last night and now this morning I can get it to turn in 3 clicks. I also used a dremmel and cut another slot in the screw because I completely stripped the original one out. I sprayed some more wd40 on it to see if it helps it go in anymore so I am just waiting right now to see if it works.

well I think I may have stripped the new slot I made as well, the screw might as well be made of play doh because its so freaking soft, any pressure you put on it carves out pieces of metal. Looks like I will just have a stiff suspension.

I don't think you can get just the screw, I think you need a whole new fork tube.

What you have done is essentially damaged the compression adjustment screw. It is part of a component that is in the lower fork portion of your suspension. You DO NOT need a new fork tube.

However, it sounds like it needs replaced for whatever reason and to do that, it will need to be removed and replaced. From the sounds of it, you are not 100% sure of what you are doing and thus, it is suggested to take it to someone that is to save you not only money in the long run, but to get it working the way it was designed and should.

Reuben is a sponsor on here and offers a discount to OR members. However, not sure what the damage is or if he can even repair it, but give him a shout and have the bike with you to answer any questions he may have.

His number is 317-850-3884

Id have to look at my setting from when I got my adjusted for the track but I actually think that it was really close to three turns from full out on the compression. might not be too bad where it is.

I think Ill pass on that, no way am I taking the bike to IN to get this fixed no offense.

Uh... I said call and if it needs to be fixed, UPS rates for forks is pretty cheap. By the sounds of it, they probably need serviced pretty bad and worth the time to remove and ship and install fresh and ready.

If not, you can play internet diagnostics and try and fix it or save the time and effort and go where a few people have recommended...

Good luck!