The latest Craigslist Scam - Now involves military

Josh1234

The link:

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/mcy/2566450959.html

In case it's deleted, the text:

Subject: ===2007Kawasaki ZX6r GT with upgrades=== - $1800 (cleveland)

Body: Good looking Kawasaki ZX6R. Please contact for additional information.

I e-mailed asking why so cheap, and I get this as the response today: :rolleyes:

Thank you for your interest in my bike.

Up for sale is my Kawasaki ZX-6R 2007. It is in absolute PERFECT condition. It does not have a scratch or even a bug on it for that matter. It has always been garage kept and is in showroom condition. It has never been dropped or in any sort of accident. The bike has had the proper break in and service. It has 8.747 original miles. This bike was bought directly from Attack Performance and has been barely used (times ridden stated above). The bike is still under the factory WARRANTY that is transferable to the new owner. It comes with both keys, owners manual, rear seat (still in plastic) as well as the rear seat cowl. I have a clean title in hand.

The bike is already at our Military Logistic Department in our military base in Eielson Air Force Base crated and ready to go. Shipping may take anywhere between 1-2 business days depending on the destination. All documents you need for ownership, title, manuals and bill of sale will be provided along with the bike. As you may know we can ship a car/bike/etc from home to the base and back, one time in a year for free...

As I'm unable to travel in the near future and I don't have anyone available back home to help me with the sale I decided to sell this bike through Craigslist.

The transaction will be made entirely through Google Checkout Protection and we both will be covered. If you want to complete the purchase please send me your: Phone Number, Full Name and Shipping Address and I will notify Google that you are selected as my buyer and they will contact you to explain the entire procedure.

The final price is $1800.The price is low because I need to sell it before September 4th.

So if you decide to buy this bike or need further information please get back to me as soon as possible.

Here are some pictures with the bike: http://s1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa340/jbutler27/?albumview=slideshow

Thank you and have a great day...

Sgt. John Butler

U.S. Army Garrison

Eielson Air Force, Base, Alaska

PS. Sorry for the long email I have tried to touch all base

I was in the market for a 4wheeler and emailed a guy that took two days to get back to me and the email said that he and the 4wheeler were in new hampshire as he was station there in the navy and it ended the same way that he was sorry for the long email and god bless

People fall for this stuff all the time (otherwise they'd quit doing it).

Any time the seller references God it's a bad sign. Deployed with the Military? Bad sign. Shipping the bike? Bad sign. Randomly capitalized words? Bad sign. Craiglist post that does not want to deal locally in cash? Don't do it.

I tried messing around with a couple of these scammers. I saw an ebaymotors ad for an Escalade that was supposedly at a dealership in Sweden, but the pics showed it was parked outside at dealership in the US. US plates in the background, "SERVICE" written on the wall behind it. Offered overnight shipping for free (!) and wanted about half of the book value. I took an image of the escalade, highlighted what looked like a blemish on the fender, hosted it on my own webserver (where I had access to the iis logs) and send the guy an email saying; "Could I get a closeup of this, just want to make sure it's not rust." Not long after that I got a hit on the image (the scammer opened the email) on my webserver which came back from an anonymizer proxy in Spain. I gave up at that point, though. Reported it as fraud to ebay and the auction went away the same day.

Another time the address that the vehicle was located was in England, again offering free shipping to the US. Talked to him a couple tie via email, of course getting pressured to pay quickly via western union. I went on google earth streetview and "looked around the area". I saw the name of store within 1/4 mile of the address where the vehicle supposedly was. I sent an email saying; "Smithies Road? Sweet, I'm a uk expat and my brother works at Ladbrokes on the high street just 2 minutes from you. I'll have him stop by after work tonight and check it out for me." Never heard back from him and the listing went away shortly after my email.