Big Deer, Big Big Deer, Big Big Big Deer!!

Beegreenstrings

:cry:

Holy shite! I have read all the threads and thought wow some of these guys are really lucky! All I know is I am buying a lottery ticket at lunch...

On my way north on Old River Rd this morning. 5ish. A monster jumps out and runs across the road in front of me. Damn it was close. I could see the details in his rack... Oh my! Monster 12ish I counted 6 really well on the side toward me. Could not make the other side out all that well. Too busy gritting teeth and closing the eye closest to his rack bracing for impact.

I just dont think the XR would have held up to a hit like that at 55.

Tire review. A whole lot of skidding but no screeching out of the dual sport tires that are less than 2 months old. Can definately see a wear mark on the rear now though. kind of flattened out the center tread.

:cry:

Holy shite! I have read all the threads and thought wow some of these guys are really lucky! All I know is I am buying a lottery ticket at lunch...

Thank God you managed to miss him. Deer usually fare better than riders in bike-deer collisions. Quite often its a fatality......for the rider.

You know the deer population is way too high when my MOTHER is ready to get violent toward them.

They've taken out her garden 3 times this year. This is despite an 8' fence with a mesh roof on it.

They've gone over, under, and through her fences, and eaten everything she's planted.

Brecksville/Broadview Heights residents voted against allowing culling of deer in the city, but as far as I know, they haven't approved any alternative. I think they'll end up poisoning the buggers. Kind of cruel, and you can't determine which deer you get... I don't particularly care if people kill Bambi, but the fact is, a hunter can choose not to shoot a fawn, or a mother with fawns. Poison won't.

Stupid rich people and their "NIMBY" attitudes...

http://advance.uconn.edu/2002/021118/02111812.htm

Deer-Whistles Ineffective, Says Bioacoustics Researcher

"We tested them strictly from an acoustical point of view," explains Scheifele. He found that the whistles typically produce a signal either at a frequency of 3 kilohertz (kHz) or 12 kHz. Both, as it turns out, are problematic.

The hearing range of white-tailed deer, the most common species in the United States, is between 2 kHz and 6 kHz, so the animal is not capable of hearing the 12 kHz signal.

Although deer may be able to hear the 3 kHz signal, it is only 3 decibels louder than the road noise created by the car, so the signal is buried. Scheifele points out that the situation would be worse with additional traffic in the area or if the wind was blowing.

Much the opposite.

According to this article: http://www.ibmwr.org/otech/deerw.html

Several years ago when I began researching deer whistles and their claims, I telephoned "Save-a-Deer" whistle company in Iowa and spoke with the owner Mike. I asked Mike about the Save-a-Deer claims and the only information he was able to provide was the "Test Report - Deer Alarm Whistle" compiled by Business Research Group, Bellevue, Iowa, the report that is often sited as the only study supporting the effectiveness of deer whistles. Mike explained that he just purchased the company from the founder and former owner of "Save-a-Deer", Don Yeager (sp?).

Wanting to learn more about the Business Research Group report, I attempted contacting them but could not find a company listed anywhere in Iowa under that name in the telephone book or with the Iowa Secretary of State office. I then contacted Don Yeager via telephone to discuss the "Business Research Group" and their findings. When I contacted Don and asked where I could find the Business Research Group, his response was "That's me. I am Business Research Group."

Don continued to tell me that a group of his buddies and him made the whistle recordings on small, inexpensive tape recorders, loaded the recorders on snowmobiles and rode through the forest playing the tapes. The result ????? The deer ran away !!!!!! When I asked Don if he thought that running snowmobiles with lights storming through the forest had any effect on the test results, Don's response was he had not considered that factor but that the deer did run away and snowmobiles were the same as cars and motorcycles. Don knew of no other study or evidence that documented that deer whistles actually work and supported his position by saying "Why else would people keep buying them?"

(my emphasis, to provide continuity)

^^^ Not to start an argument, but does anyone know of anything that DOES work???

I'm a big fan of the 30.06

They've taken out her garden 3 times this year. This is despite an 8' fence with a mesh roof on it..

go to a feed store and purchase Dried blood. It comes in a cardboard box, kinda like a cereal box. Scatter liberally around the perimeter of the garden(s), and be happy. Human hair scattered around works pretty well too. The best results we ever got on my grandparents farm in VA, was mountain lion urine...(don't ask)