Ohh how I love obedient dogs

thirdgenlxi

So now that Riley and Piper have been in their classes for a little while, I figured I'd start a little thread on their learning progress. This isn't everything they know, but mostly the stuff they're really really good at so far and I could make a video of easily (they're real good at come when called as well, but it was dark out, lol). There's still stuff they're working on to perfect, and of course always learning new things as well. A lot of it is just basic stuff, but it's all the fundamental building blocks for things ahead, and they certainly ain't no dummies! For those that remember me mentioning it, I have future aspirations of getting Riley and Piper certified as therapy dogs once they're old enough, as long as I can get them over their social anxiety issues (they're getting much better with that though)

An FYI this was all done with positive reinforcement training.... I never lay a hand on them (some people apparently think beating your dog into submission is how you 'train' them....ugh). Everything is voice commands, hand signals, body language and tone, and treats.... pretty simple stuff really, and it works!

The sit & wait for their food.... I don't even have to say a word anymore, as they've been doing it every time since they were 11 weeks old

590be841.jpg

54cbbb95.jpg

This was at 11 weeks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=macwhsg5yl4

Now at 10 months.... don't even have to say anything

Also, later in the vid, the treats I'm using are soft chewy Salmon treats.... the good stuff made with real salmon, not dry crunchy treats. They're extremely pungent with a very strong fishy smell, which the dogs absolutely LOVE. More or less equivalent to putting a piece of raw meat in front of them...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cT1cmwoo6qw

Then this was from a couple days ago.... I let them out in the front yard to do their business one at a time (off leash, non fenced yard). I let them out in the exact same order every single time... Piper first, then Piggy, then Riley. I've been using the "wait" command because I don't want them all rushing out the door at once (plus I use this command elsewhere as well), so 2 of them wait, one goes out, and they have to wait for that one to come back in before the next one goes out. They've got it down so well, that when I say "lets go outside", they'll run over to the front door and, starting with the side of the door that opens, will line up side by side in the exact order that they go out in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIOdnUdeWko

That's all I have for this weeks doggy boot camp.... I'll update later on as they learn new things

• Upvote 1

nice work.

I may try some of that. Hank (and each of our foster dogs) is required to sit and stay before they can eat as well. usually takes the foster dogs a couple of weeks to fully understand it.

I have Hank to the point where I've walked up stairs to brush my teeth after laying out his breakfast, and sometimes I'll come back down and find him still waiting for me to tell him to go eat. oops.

my next goal is to get everything down to hand signals and finger snaps.

Good job with them...definitely very well trained. I have a question though - what's the point in making them wait for them to get their food? I've seen other people do this with their dogs and it makes no sense to me. It just looks like some sort of power trip people get on. I mean, their dogs...not freakin' slaves. But just enlighten me...I guess I'm missing something.

The dog is also less likely to try and grab the food from you or beg for human food.

yep. That and when I drop a piece of chocolate, and I yell "henry! no!" he actually stops and listens before eating something that might kill him.

But "power trip" over your dog is practically a compliment. People who let their dogs walk all over them are doing the dog and everyone it comes in contact with a disservice.

Henry used to practically knock us over before we could set his bowl on the ground. He knocked the bowl out of my hands multiple times.

if you make the dog sit, and then tell him or her to "stay," and just pick up the bowl every time they start to move toward it, they understand quite quickly that they're not getting food if they move. Thus they learn what "stay" means.

1 or 2 minutes before each meal, and the dog will have it down in a couple weeks. Our last pup showed serious improvement in 4 days.

"stay" is also quite convenient when a family of skunks has taken up residence near your house, and you have to check the back yard with a flashlight before letting the dog out at night.

I figured it would be something along those lines but I raised a mut from when he was 9 weeks old. I just had to put him to sleep several months ago but all in his 14 years, he was an unbelievable dog. Never chewed anything, never did anything wrong and picked up house training very quickly when he was a pup (only had maybe 2 or 3 accidents inside the house). I was very lucky not to have a destructive dog like a lot of my friends have. But I never did this with his food and he was never too eager when I would feed him...wouldn't chase after me or knock the food out of my hands...just waited for me to fill his bowl and set it down. No big deal. I did solely train him myself too. RIP buddy.

a lot depends on the dog's history and personality. Sounds like you got lucky with your dog.

I try to keep in mind though that my dog interacts with people who ARE NOT dog lovers. I don't really care if my dog jumps up on me. My buddy's 3 yr. old cares a lot.

Yeah, I'll agree that I got one hell of a dog. I got him from Jack's Aquarium and Pets on Cleveland Ave when he was just 9 weeks old. As stated before, it has a lot to do with the owners too. My ex gf had a little Yorkie and the thing would pee and poop in the house, daily. All she would do is shake her head and clean up the mess. I'm like, "Holy crap, if you can't discipline a dog, you sure as hell can't discipline a child, lol." She didn't like that, haha. People that let their dogs run all over them irritate the crap out of me.

Yeah, I'll agree that I got one hell of a dog. I got him from Jack's Aquarium and Pets on Cleveland Ave when he was just 9 weeks old. As stated before, it has a lot to do with the owners too. My ex gf had a little Yorkie and the thing would pee and poop in the house, daily. All she would do is shake her head and clean up the mess. I'm like, "Holy crap, if you can't discipline a dog, you sure as hell can't discipline a child, lol." She didn't like that, haha. People that let their dogs run all over them irritate the crap out of me.

That would piss me off to no end. I have always trained my foster dogs to sit and wait for me to pet them any time I came home. I did that so anytime I was carrying anything heavy I wouldn't have to worry about the dog getting in my way and tripping me. It's a good practice to get into if you ever plan on having kids and want to keep the dog. The last thing you want to worry about when holding a baby carrier is a dog trying to jump on you.

Oh it infuriated me. It led to MANY fights. The damn dog was like, 3 or 4 years old too. Any discipline I gave him, didn't work. He was already trained in his ways and wouldn't ever listen. So, I ended up getting a baby gate and locking him in the kitchen to avoid him ruining the carpet everywhere in the apartment we had at the time. My ex just didn't care and had no respect for anything. She let her dog do anything he wanted. One of the many reasons why she and I aren't together anymore, ha

...If a little kid comes up and they have an ice cream wanting to pet the doggy then the doggy won't knock the kid over. Or the doggy won't practically bite the kid trying to eat the ice cream.

If the little brat won't share ice cream, they deserve what the dog dishes out.

See below for example of proper sharing.

puppyGirlshareIceCream.jpg

:)

Looks like a good group of pups. I see many years of love and enjoyment between you and them. ;)

The best trained dog I ever had was my first doberman, he'd go for runs with me on the Mtn Bike so he had to learn right from left. I actually proved the vet wrong that dogs could not learn that. :)

In loving memory of one awsome dog! Yes, he sat there and let me take the photo and held till I took the hat and sun glasses off.

Jokeherc.jpg

Maybe I should have you come over and help me with my bird dog... I feel sometimes if I had the skills to do brain surgery, I could not even program her on how to do some of the things I expect of her. But, that is the fun in training her. She is super smart and sometimes I think she is testing me to see what I will let her get a way with...

We leave for South Dakota on November 7th. Her big issue seems to be bringing the bird back when other dogs are present. There are going to be 3 other dogs running those fields with her out there. Oh boy! Her first trip out of state.