gopro HD will not play files

blue03636

I have a few gopro files I would like to get working. I have been in contact with gopro but they don't have any idea on how to recover the files. I have added the error message I get when I try to play the file.

"Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file."

If anyone know a way to recover these files please let me know.

Thank you

Files not lost. The windows media player is probably not compatible. Video files have many different codecs that make them viewable. Try downloading Classic321 player and using it instead. Or figure out which codec is needed, and load it. Easiest way is to download and install a package of common codecs. Basically that is what comes with the Classic 321 player. Careful, there's lots of fake or bad download websites. I'm using the Classic 321 and GoPro videos play ok with it (All videos do, except some of the unusual codecs from Japan.)

Sourceforge

Afterdawn website (a great website for all things audio and video)

Edited by ReconRat

no the files are corrupt, it's not a codec issue. I have tried all different types of programs and codecs and none will open them. The only other option is that the files are corrupt and need recovered somehow.

The problem is that if I make a video around 15 min long it works fine, if they are around 20 min or longer they pop up this error.

rats, was hoping it was just the player.

These aren't fake SD cards from ebay, are they?

They are usually something smaller labeled as something bigger.

That would be bad. Small stuff would work and large stuff would not.

I guess I don't know, I've not had anything like that with the GoPro or any other SD video camera.

I did find this link on SouthBayRiders. A large MC group on the West coast.

http://www.goprohacks.blogspot.com/p/how-to-restore-gopro-mp4-corrupted-or.html

The sos function sounds interesting, but the rest of it sounds like a pitb.

I'm googling gopro video file corrupted

http://goprouser.freeforums.org/corrupt-video-file-restore-repair-utility-t1013.html

Edited by ReconRat

If you know someone with a Mac you can try converting them using iSquint. It works for me on videos that are running when the battery dies causing an error in the file.

See, I'll keep my old non-hd gopro, it will record a 57min video flawlessly (thats all that will fit on my 2g sd),

and when the batteries get low, it just saves the file and shuts off. ;)

Will it play the files if connected to your tv, through the gopro itself? I had an issue just with file size for a while until i got a new cpu...sounds like the >20min thing could be a similar thing. Just not enough capacity to even open that large of a file.

It's a class 10. I have already talked to gopro and ordered a class 4 to help with future recordings.

Why would they have you go backwards in quality???? Class 10 is much faster than class 4. Class 4 is pretty much the minimum for HD video.

Because gopro has some messed up firmware that works best with a few cards and will mess up files on others. They say they are working on fixing this but I doubt much will change.

Something sounds fishy. I'm using a pro series class 10 card without any issues, even up to 2hr long videos (forgot to turn it off, LOL). You have a GoPro HD right?