Wall St occupied by protestors

ReconRat

American households right at the 99th percentile (that is, the cut-off for the top 1 percent) will earn about $506,553 in cash income this year, according to a Tax Policy Center analysis

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/10/10/about-that-99-percent/

this is a chart that breaks down each percentile according to 2011 figure

http://taxpolicycenter.org/numbers/displayatab.cfm?DocID=2970

I have seen 380k, 343k, and 506k. Gotta love varying information.

Global income calculators have been running around on Google+.

Per this calculator, about $50,000 USD is the cutoff for the top 1% of the world income.

About $25,000 USD would put you in the top 10% of the world.

http://www.globalrichlist.com/

Here's one from the Wall Street Journal, for calculating USA income percentile.

Pretty much everyone below $500,000 USD annual is the 99%.

New York Times says $402,306 per year is the cutoff.

http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2011/10/19/what-percent-are-you/

For more fun, here's an interesting analysis from UCSC Sociology dept:

Who Rules America? (power/wealth) tons of info.

http://sociology.ucsc.edu/whorulesamerica/power/wealth.html

This might be the most interesting part of the article:

Figure_4.gif

http://sociology.ucsc.edu/whorulesamerica/power/images/wealth/Figure_4.gif

Take a close look at the actual percentages. If I read it right, it literally says the bottom 40% of the population is not working and has no income. I think that is a problem right there.

I tend to think, that 1% of the US population was smart enough to get out of the stock market every time it collapsed. That effectively doubled or tripled their cash.

I also think that the poorer parts of the world survive on trade and barter, and really don't show up as having an income of cash in any sort of calculator.

edit: One of the difficulties that will come about in looking at numbers, is whether it is individual income or household income. If a spouse or adult children are at home and not working, it can throw the calculations off either way you look at it.

Edited by ReconRat

One more funny thought. If income disparity is addressed, it seems to me that there wouldn't necessarily be more cash for each individual... rather there would simply be more people just like yourself at your same level of income.

Yet another case of "careful what you wish for".

Edited by ReconRat

I do not get paid for anything over 80. The most I did was like 157 hours for two weeks which was basically 77 hours of free labor for the company. Now as of Monday, I will get straight time for anything I work over 50 hours a week which while could be better is greatly appreciated and better than the nothing that I have been getting

That's how I look at it. Plus I volunteer to do. Its a family business and ill own all it eventually so for now I make peanuts and work more than my fair share. Being the only son of three kids has it ups and downs.

I have moved up to a fairly high position at a very young age and would like to continue moving up. I work my ass off and put up with some crap time lines and projects sometime but people know I will do what it takes to get it done.

• Upvote 1

Actually, the voter turnout in the USA is just about the worst in the entire world.

If the 99% actually voted, something might actually happen.

If the 99% actually had a consensus of opinion.

Sort of.

You're almost always voting for someone who is on the ballot thanks to the 1%.

• 2 weeks later...
ITT: people who think the current government actually represents us as a people.

I don't know, I think it represents us very well:

1. spoiled and used to borrowing to get what it needs

2. basically lazy unless it effects them directly and then the first response is to blame someone else for it not getting fixed

3. Really shitty at setting a real world budget

4. Unwilling to live by that budget

5. Treats elections like a reality show

6. Thinks the news reporters are telling both sides of the story

7. Say they care but the actions tell a different story.

We fail as a population and they fail as a governing body. We're well represented. :(

• Upvote 1

I don't know, I think it represents us very well:

1. spoiled and used to borrowing to get what it needs

2. basically lazy unless it effects them directly and then the first response is to blame someone else for it not getting fixed

3. Really shitty at setting a real world budget

4. Unwilling to live by that budget

5. Treats elections like a reality show

6. Thinks the news reporters are telling both sides of the story

7. Say they care but the actions tell a different story.

We fail as a population and they fail as a governing body. We're well represented. :(

God that is so true.

I'm glad that a large group of people are assembling and practicing their rights to protest. I wish they were more clear about their goals. I also wish that nobody in their group was lazy or greedy because I think their point would be better taken. I also wonder how many of them would change their mind about what they are doing if they had to survive in a 3rd world country for even a week on the $1/day incomes that many people have... why are we so entitled? I blame the media (only half joking).

God that is so true.

In part it's pride. The lack of. People are not proud.

I picked it up from this. A book about the Depression Era, when a wealthy family in a small town in Ohio gave away money (aid) to local families that needed help. They did so with an advertisement in the local newspaper. The book is all about those people and the responses to the advertisements, to seek help...

One quote in the book review sticks with me: "...social attitudes characteristic of the Depression generation—pride in self-reliance matched by mortification to be seen accepting help, overlain with disdain for complaining." So what happened to these attitudes? It seems to me they took a turn somewhere and aren't around anywhere this century...

Military veterans need not worry about this. Pride is something the military hands out freely.

edit: oops, forgot to name that book: A Secret Gift - Ted Gup.

Edited by ReconRat