Carrying in commercial vehicle

idodishez

Just heard something on radio about not being allowed to carry in commercial vehicle. An ODOT rule, not employer rule. Is this true? Does this apply to any commercial vehicle? Or only one where you would have a CDL?

I drive a company owned van/work truck daily, and carry daily. (no CDL ) Am I breaking some law that I wasn't aware of?

From what I recall, owner/operator can have it, as long as you follow Ohio CCW guidelines. If you work for someone, you have to follow their policy's and procedures. I'm not a supervisor, so I don't have all the laws in my head.

The law is not an odot law it is a federal law as commercial vehicles fall under federal hiway guidlines and yes it has always been illegal to have a firearm in a commercial vehicle and that falls under federal law just as no radar detectors in a commercial vehicle. Now if there is a way around that Id love to know it and I have a hard time believing a trucking company owner paid for all his drivers to get it and only hires drivers now that have one because that is against federal law. This is clearly stated in the law books and cdl packets. I have not seen a loop hole for chl holders but if there is one post it up.

Please site for me where firearms are not allowed in commercial vehicles. No such law exists, the only commercial vehicle law I am aware of concerns transporting them as cargo.

On page 16 the motor carrier enforcement unit is talking about dot cops!

The NRA has researched this thoroughly and has came to the same conclusion I have, that you have to follow each individual state's law or carry via the uniform carry law.

Edited by crb

Please site for me where firearms are not allowed in commercial vehicles. No such law exists, the only commercial vehicle law I am aware of concerns transporting them as cargo.

On page 16 the motor carrier enforcement unit is talking about dot cops!

The NRA has researched this thoroughly and has came to the same conclusion I have, that you have to follow each individual state's law or carry via the uniform carry law.

Exactly