Road suggestions to Knoxville

wicked94s10

Although I have not taken it that far south, I have mapped 23 down as a great ride. But if you are only going for 3 days, well the travel time diff between 23 and 75 is significant, and 75 down thru Ky and Tenn ain't so bad.

Edited by ohiomike

On the way back you can get off 75 at the La Follette exit 134 and take it to 63 that runs through downtown La Follette and then opens up and runs all the way to 32 take a left and go through the Cumberland gap its not all that twisty but a very nice scenic route on a sunny day grandparents live in La Follette and have been down there many times

You could also come down 32 and take the right onto 63 and goes back to 75

Most of this is the end of my time at deals gap but after the 5:00 mark it shows some of the other roads heading up 129 to 40 and then 25W which parallels I-75.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQEqoMUfa1s

If you do go straight down I75, I'd suggest 25W as an alternate. Just watch your GPS for towns along it, they can be very busy and full of idiots townies who'll putter along a -15 from the speed limit. :rolleyes:

Have a safe trip

Most of this is the end of my time at deals gap but after the 5:00 mark it shows some of the other roads heading up 129 to 40 and then 25W which parallels I-75.

If you do go straight down I75, I'd suggest 25W as an alternate. Just watch your GPS for towns along it, they can be very busy and full of idiots townies who'll putter along a -15 from the speed limit. :rolleyes:

Have a safe trip

i forgot bout 25W that's a good road too but as he said watch for towns 25W actually runs right into La Follette

I have taken 77 75 and 23 before, I love 23 just looking for something similar to that where you can make some ground but its not quite freeway. Not looking for tight twistys all the way down , maybe some nice views and rolling 55 mile per hour sweepers. Were not headed to the dragon but over to the devils triangle

I have taken 77 75 and 23 before, I love 23 just looking for something similar to that where you can make some ground but its not quite freeway. Not looking for tight twistys all the way down , maybe some nice views and rolling 55 mile per hour sweepers. Were not headed to the dragon but over to the devils triangle

63 is 55 down in a valley and mostly straight 2 lane road

looks like were going to take 71 to 75 and go down through the Daniel Boone National forest to cumberland falls on the way down. the second day were going to ride the Devils Triangle and that area. Then on the way home were going to ide up through the Red river George area there seems to be alot to see and do in that area

http://byways.org/explore/byways/2482/travel.html

here is a cool man made 900 ft deep tunnel in the red river gorge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR1zzLQpmgY

The NADA Tunnel is pretty neat, worth seeing for sure, some good roads in that area too, a bonus win!

Devil's Triangle is best counter clockwise in my opinion, the best part is last.

Sketchy roads till the last section too, the series of switchbacks always seem to be covered with stones bad.

Looks like a fun trip, have fun, and ride safe!

My thought process on a trip like this is, get to the main destination first and fastest, once there you can alter plans for how much time you have left for the return trip...It is very easy, for me, to get side tracked doing other things on my way, while sometimes never reaching my main destination and needing to turn around and head back due to lose of time, only on my solo rides though...The good part is, I find many good roads and neat things along the way.

Its at the top of the list maybe not number one, we ride the devils triangle, tail of the dragon and the cherahala skyway on the second day, the third day we rode back roads about half the day and made a few stops on the way home.

We got to see cumberland falls at night and in the day, we ate at sanders cafe (the original kfc), went on the skylift up to the natural bridge, drive through the nada tunnel, stopped at torrent falls rock climbing park, stopped at deals gap and even stopped at quaker steak in knoxville for some out of state bike night plus rode 1200 miles (600 freeway 600 twisties). Not bad for a three day ride other than getting in last night about midnight when it was 44 and raining, I did not expect the temp to drop that much so I didn't even pack my winter gear

the best roads I found were 30 east off of 75 in ky, 90 over to cumberland falls and the three popular roads that most everyone knows