My Notary...

jester3681

Hey guys. Some of you have used my services in the past as a notary... well, my time is coming to an end. I'm only good until February 20, 2012. In my notary career, I've notarized literally thousands of titles (less than four years!). I pride myself on never charging for this service since I got my notary paid for from a previous employer. Well, if I re-up, it'll cost me some money. Thoughts?

I hate to start charging, but I also need to offset the cost. I do have some selfish reasons for wanting it - it makes it easy to buy and sell cars, which I did a lot last year to help make ends meet when I was at Nissan.

if you pass the Ohio bar, your notary commission will never expire. That ups the renewal expense just a smidge, but you've got the rest of your life to recoup the costs ;-)

If I wanted to eat my own young, I would be a hampster, not a lawyer. More people like hampsters.

• Upvote 1

As you know, there is an amount of money that you can charge for notary services. If you charge more then you can lose your notary status. Charge the couple of dollars that you are allowed to. Anyone wants to bitch, tell them to go elsewhere.

Dunno why people ask each other free services anyway unless it's the barter system (I'll fix your computer if you fix my lawnmower, etc). I am not about to do free computer work for anyone unless we live in the same house. Notary services should be no different.

I guess my feeling has always been it's such a small amount - I think like $1.50 per title - that it's not worth the hassle. Most of the work I did was for work and you can't charge your employer, unfortunately.

Won't they pay the renewal fee? Gotta be better than sending crap out to get notarized...

I was a notary in CA, where it's $10 per signature. Well worth my time. One loan doc could have 10 signatures per person, that's a quick $200 for a couple. I could also charge extra for travel time if I wanted to. It just never seemed profitable out here, unless if you had clients lined up all day.