statistics Q...

magley64

now ur suggesting the probability of picking a card marked X which becomes 16/52

now lets do this, put an x on all diamonds, what is the probability of picking card marked x = 13/52

now put a Y on all aces probability is 4/52

what is the probability that of picking either x or y ... i pick back to back 16 x put it back then back to back 4 y then it is 17, the condition never excluded a thing with both x and y.

\

Edit

By far the most hated class I have ever had to take.

The answer is def. 16/52

Doc, try to use your logic to answer this slight modification: what are the odds of drawing a red suit, a diamond, or a heart? Clearly there are overlapping sets here, but you cannot say that 26/52(red) + 13/52(diamond) + 13/52(heart) = 52/52, otherwise you would have a 100% probability of drawing a red suit, diamond or a heart. You have to reduce cards that are included twice.

The answer is def. 16/52

Doc, try to use your logic to answer this slight modification: what are the odds of drawing a red suit, a diamond, or a heart? Clearly there are overlapping sets here, but you cannot say that 26/52(red) + 13/52(diamond) + 13/52(heart) = 52/52, otherwise you would have a 100% probability of drawing a red suit, diamond or a heart. You have to reduce cards that are included twice.

in your example the criteria is red, there is no confusion there,

ie a card which is red which can be either diamond or heart

Card >> RED ( 1 probability) >> diamond or heart

but the question above there is one card which satisfies both criteria, but are mutually exclusive.

here a card which is either ace or diamond.

Card>> ace (1 probability) or diamond (1 probability)

Then again i am just stating a different point of view, am not saying i am right.

may be i am basing my argument more on psycho-philosophical base rather than maths :(

i mean i am setting this argument from the observer basis saying that he is ignoring the fact that ace of diamond that he drew twice is one and the same card.