Disappointment at range with 9MM

scottb

Looking for some input.

I have an FEG PKJ-9HP 9MM ( Think Browning Hi-power form factor).

I bought this gun used. Had issues when I first bought it with the spent round partially extracted from barrel, but the next fresh round will jam against the partially extracted case. It would not jam after every shot, but at least after 3 shots.

I have a friend with a properly functioning Browning Hi-power ( the parts interchange)and I was able to try his mags, barrel and recoil spring in my FEG. Still same result. I tried different brands of 9MM ammo. I throughly cleaned the gun, took the slide apart and cleaned some crude from the extractor spring area. I thought the crude was the cause.

Gun still only partially extracted the spent casing.

Since I figured i needed a new extractor and spring and was not sure exactly sure how to "fit" the extractor, I ended up taking the gun to a gunsmith, who replaced the extractor, extractor spring and put a "relief" cut in the end of the barrel. ( that pissed me off but he said he does this to all his 1911's). The gun functioned properly when I picked up the gun, I was able to fire 28 rounds without an issue. So I was feeling good at spending $75 for parts and labor. Cleaned gun and put into safe.

Today was the first time I was able to take the gun to the range since I picked it up from gunsmith, about 2 months ago. After the third shot, gun is back to partially extracting spent rounds.

I did not have a camera with me at the range, but i was able to almost recreate what was happening and take pictures at home. And now, inside the slide, I am noticing some scrape marks that i did not notice before.

So, either the extractor and or spring still needs some attention, or maybe a weak recoil spring, now that the extractor is belived to be functioning properly?

Pics below:

FEG9.JPG

FEG1.JPG

Spent round partially extracted:

FTE.JPG

FTE2.JPG

Marks on inside of slide that I did not notice before:

inside%252520slide%252520marks.JPG

It might also be too strong of a return spring and the slide is shutting too close, feed ramp or a few other things I can think of unfortunately (if I am understanding the problem correctly). What weight return spring do you have in there now, is there any damage to the case when its finally extracted or any differences from a properly extracted case or excessive copper fouling on the feed ramp? Also, can you hand cycle it fine?

It might also be too strong of a return spring and the slide is shutting too close, feed ramp or a few other things I can think of unfortunately (if I am understanding the problem correctly). What weight return spring do you have in there now, is there any damage to the case when its finally extracted or any differences from a properly extracted case or excessive copper fouling on the feed ramp? Also, can you hand cycle it fine?

Way to derail the thread. :p

Haha, I didn't even see anything to begin with. I open like 20 tabs and get to them eventually. I guess since he is lip-wristing it like a girl we can call it case closed

I do that too, then I have to go back and read was got posted up while I had it open. lol

Unknown on the return spring, I did not replace this, probably original to the gun. Not sure on copper fouling, but this gun does seem to get dirty quickly.Extracts and ejects properly by hand.

Hand cycling usually doesn't tell too much, but I figured it was worth a shot! What does the brass look like? Even though it was worked on I still am not ruling out the extractor (general lack of trust towards people maybe?) but my gut tells me mag. I know you said you tried your friend's mags, but how do yours feel, do the feed lips look bent or do they retain the round well? I have heard the same issues from FEG guns before, they don't cycle well, but I don't know a solution.