racing fuels

Unk Greg

Posting here...have a two stroke thumper now and wondered about fuels available. It is a high compression two stroke...and what little fuel i had is gone. Previous owner said mixed premium gas, castor oil, and acetone to help with blending.

Not looking for racing fuel per se....just like to keep this machine on it's regular diet.

Any help out there re:

Apology up front as to whether or not answered somewhere b4...i can' t bring up the search and keybd. to track down topic.

Thanks.

I used to make up some nitro mixtures for r/c stuff. I know I have a recipe sitting around a bum hdd somewhere around here if you still want it (based off sunoco pump gas). If you're looking for a learning experience and are going to play around with acetone mixtures, I have a list for you (I would suggest ~10% castor at all times to keep it 2-stroke friendly though). These are all just things I have heard are in various other racing fuels and things I have picked up from chemistry:

avgas

Benzene

Hexanes

Hydrazine

Methanol

Methyl tert-butyl ether

Pentane

Propylene

Toluene

Xylene

etc. (many organic solvents fit the bill because of their highly flammability and low vapor pressure)

I'm not sure if you are trying to experiment on your own or what, but everything listed is very dangerous; not just for their flammability but things like benzene, toluene and xylene are carcinogens as well so don't let them touch you (fun fact: DMSO, another solvent, will readily be absorbed into the skin, and then you taste garlic). As for legitimate, tested 2-stroke recipes, I cannot help :(

2 stroke thumper is a contradiction... 4 strokes are considered thumpers... ;)

On the note of fuels, why does it need such special fuel? Let us know what you have and we'd be better to answer...

My opinion is that if it is a race built motor, you probably could stand to use something like VP C12 and mix with a QUALITY 2 stroke oil. There is a shit pile out there and we at KTM, use the Motorex 2 stroke oil and we probably put over 60 HARD hours on our 2 strokes and allow Joe Public to ride them in those hours. They come back looking great and (knock on wood), no engine failures... Now, they are not race built and have anything special, really. However, what the newest technology incorporates, is probably what some older "race" builds incorporate.

I'd say it lies in a quality fuel and quality oil, but stay away from Dr. Frankenstein and mixing exotic chemicals into the fuel. Today's race fuels are really good and mostly used by top race teams and can be proven to have exactly what you need w/o having to mix in extra stuff that will really do you no benefit...

My buddies and I, have always ran cam and castor oil in our race engines. Have used VP "c16" and castor oil also, but didn't see enough gains out of it, to justify the cost, so we went back to cam. Mainly because it is easier to get here, with a race track close.

These are engines built for racing "sprint karts," which run up to 550cc engines. We have used stroker, big bore, etc set ups, and still used the cam and castor oil. Depending on how much the engine has done to it though, will decide on what fuel you need.

Thanks all....got the bike and the fuel used was mixed up by previous owner along the lines of the opening....did not get the "formula". VP keeps coming up in conversations.

Racing engine in bike....and looking to not change out fueling.

Appreciate all the info. Great help.