thoughts on a scope?

fizzer

So yesterday I ordered a Savage mark II from 8mmDale and it should be coming in sometime this week, and I have been looking around at various scopes to put on it and wanted to bounce some ideas off the more knowledgeable around here as well as get some advice on some options I may not have considered. I will be using this gun for target shooting only, at ranges varying from 50-200yds. Most practice will be at 50 and 100, with 200 being a longer-term goal to practice wind doping.

The scopes I have focused on thus far:

http://muelleroptics.com/mt451440

I like the externally adjustable windage/elevation turrets on this one, and in reviews it seems to be a good value for the features.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/vortex-crossfire-4-16x50-adjustable-ao-rifle-scope.html

I have heard many good things about vortex scopes as well, and I like the large adjustment range of this scope for windage/elevation

any other suggestions for scopes in the sub $300 range?

Mine is a Leupold Vari-x IIc... I took off the dust covers and found the model name. It's a 3-9x40 and includes dust covers and rings. I used it in the field one time on top of my .30-30 before I came to my senses about having a scope on a .30-30. It's been in the safe ever since. I found the lowest price on a used one to be at around $230 on the net, so I'm good with the $100 that I'm asking. It's just taking up space.

And the reticle.... I don't know what you'd call it. It's your standard crosshair up-right X with darker lines outside of the center. The center intersection of the lines is thinner.

C-bus, thanks for the offer and details, but I'm gonna pass on the vari-x. Good deal though, glws.

All, On the vortex scopes, is there going to be a significant quality jump if I step up to the diamondback line for a little more $? The crossfire I was looking at has a larger objective, but I know the light transmission could still be better on a smaller diameter scope if there are glass/coating differences.

Flounder, do you think a variable power scope with max magnification in the 12-16x range is well suited to the ranges I am looking at shooting? I usually shoot my .223 @ 100yds on 10x and find that to be pretty comfortable for me.

Thanks

C-bus, thanks for the offer and details, but I'm gonna pass on the vari-x. Good deal though, glws.

All, On the vortex scopes, is there going to be a significant quality jump if I step up to the diamondback line for a little more $? The crossfire I was looking at has a larger objective, but I know the light transmission could still be better on a smaller diameter scope if there are glass/coating differences.

Flounder, do you think a variable power scope with max magnification in the 12-16x range is well suited to the ranges I am looking at shooting? I usually shoot my .223 @ 100yds on 10x and find that to be pretty comfortable for me.

Thanks

Ive shot 6x and 10X out to 1200-1700 yards if that answers your question.

I'll sell you a 3-9x40 Leupold VX with rings for $100. Like-new condition.

Thanks

Cbus, I'll take that for $100 since he doesn't want it. When do you want to meet? I usually meet at Stoneridge Plaza in Gahanna for these exchanges.

Ive shot 6x and 10X out to 1200-1700 yards if that answers your question.

It doesn't directly answer my question, but I'll assume it to mean the magnification will be more than adequate for whatever size targets you usually shoot at.

The kind of shooting I would like to do with this rifle would be any sort of shooting along the lines of this course of fire:

http://www.6mmbr.com/rimfiretactical.html

Any other scope suggestions from anyone? If I need to include more details about my intended use please let me know, I'm just trying to learn as much as I can to make an informed decision.

Thanks,