Lobbyists win against healthier school lunches

Casper

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/04/20/military.fat.fight/index.html?eref=rss_latest&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rss%2Fcnn_latest+%28RSS%3A+Most+Recent%29

STORY HIGHLIGHTS

• About 27 percent of
    young adults are medically ineligible for the military, according to
    group
  • Leading medical reason why young people are rejected
    from military service is weight
  • Group calls for Congress to
    pass law for better nutrition in school lunches

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/04/20/military.fat.fight/index.html?eref=rss_latest&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rss%2Fcnn_latest+%28RSS%3A+Most+Recent%29

STORY HIGHLIGHTS

• About 27 percent of
    young adults are medically ineligible for the military, according to
    group
  • Leading medical reason why young people are rejected
    from military service is weight
  • Group calls for Congress to
    pass law for better nutrition in school lunches

You missed the BIG story highlights:

Title: Ex-military leaders: Young adults 'too fat to fight'

More than a quarter of young adults are unable to meet physical requirements to join the military, creating a potential threat to national security, a group of retired armed forces leaders said Tuesday.

"It's not drug abuse, it's not asthma, it's not flat feet -- by far the leading medical reason is being overweight or obese," said retired U.S. Air Force Lt. Gen. Norman Seip at a news conference.

School lunches are not the problem. At least in the public school i went to, They did a pretty damn good job of offering a halfway healthy meal. If i was still in school, I'd be fucking pissed if they were taking away pizza.

Granted, I usually bought two lunches and threw my canned servings of nasty soggy vegetables in the trash. Looking back on it, I'm amazed how much i could eat as a teenager. 120 pounds dripping wet, and i had a voracious appetite. I would eat 2 bowls of cereal for breakfast, 2 ham sandwiches before lunch, 2-3 slices of pizza and whatever else at lunch, 2 more ham sandwiches mid afternoon, then a massive plate of spaghetti for dinner. I could eat a large pizza in one sitting. I wasn't even 100 pounds till the summer before my junior year of high school.

I'm still skinny as fuck, but theres no way i could even eat a 3rd of that today without wanting to vomit.

School lunches are not the problem. At least in the public school i went to, They did a pretty damn good job of offering a halfway healthy meal. If i was still in school, I'd be fucking pissed if they were taking away pizza.

Granted, I usually bought two lunches and threw my canned servings of nasty soggy vegetables in the trash. Looking back on it, I'm amazed how much i could eat as a teenager. 120 pounds dripping wet, and i had a voracious appetite. I would eat 2 bowls of cereal for breakfast, 2 ham sandwiches before lunch, 2-3 slices of pizza and whatever else at lunch, 2 more ham sandwiches mid afternoon, then a massive plate of spaghetti for dinner. I could eat a large pizza in one sitting. I wasn't even 100 pounds till the summer before my junior year of high school.

I'm still skinny as fuck, but theres no way i could even eat a 3rd of that today without wanting to vomit.

I can down a large pizza and an order of wings with no problem.

You know what else would help? Parents kicking their kids off the playstation. Making them go outside to play.

And for when it's dark out, you can always walk on a treadmill or do squats while you get your game on. Hook exercise equipment to playstation, give an hour of playtime per 400 calories burned?

Profiting from lazy parents... what could go wrong?