I Just Watched "We Were Soldiers" with Mel Gibson

Jcarlson

One of the real life newbs in that battle, was amazed at the ground bubbling like boiling water in front of him. Quickly realized it was incoming fire. Lots of it. Awesome movie.

More or less the first real test of mobile infantry. Air Cavalry.

Battle of la Drang

edit: If you want a good book to read that includes the battle,

Chickenhawk by Robert Mason

Edited by ReconRat

The Vietnam combat vet that lived across the street from me said that Band of Brothers and Saving Private Ryan were the most realistic combat movies he had ever seen. I'm sure he'd add We Were Soldiers if he was still around.

His quote was the one Band of Brothers episode where they were at the Battle of the Bulge. If you watch it, you'll see bits of twigs and trees and plants severe and fall as rounds go shooting past. That's extremely accurate.

One of the real life newbs in that battle, was amazed at the ground bubbling like boiling water in front of him. Quickly realized it was incoming fire. Lots of it. Awesome movie.

More or less the first real test of mobile infantry. Air Cavalry.

Battle of la Drang

edit: If you want a good book to read that includes the battle,

Chickenhawk by Robert Mason

good book. I read it in iraq.
The Vietnam combat vet that lived across the street from me said that Band of Brothers and Saving Private Ryan were the most realistic combat movies he had ever seen. I'm sure he'd add We Were Soldiers if he was still around.

His quote was the one Band of Brothers episode where they were at the Battle of the Bulge. If you watch it, you'll see bits of twigs and trees and plants severe and fall as rounds go shooting past. That's extremely accurate.

I heard that band of brothers isn't that historically accurate whereas we were soldiers is very accurate. Many of the lines are just as they said them back then.

Ya know, I watch Vietnam in HD on the History channel just last week. Joe Galloway was on there talking about this very battle. Having seen that first then watching this movie, the movie was just as accurate as Galloway told it - right down to Jimmy what's his face getting burned by the napalm and the skin sliding off his legs when Joe picked him up. In fact, when watching the credits, he and Moore were the consultants for the movie so it had better damn well be accurate.

The only thing I could see missing was the mention of Snake flying as many sorties as he did. In vietnamd in HD, Joe said Snake would get shot down, rescued, go get another Huey, get shot down again, rescued again, get another Huey, etc etc - I think he said 27 times but don't quote that number.

Both were awesome flix.