Shotgun expertise please...

Helmutt

Been on the fence between a Benelli SuperNova and a Browning BPS Hunter......shouldered both recently and the SuperNova was spot on fitment for me right off the rack, but the Browning fit too, after they found one that had the proper comb/stock setup for me -- I'm no fan of wooden furnitured guns BUT, the BPS includes a ltd. lifetime warranty whereas the Benelli didn't ( or so I was told by the salesman ) yet the SuperNova was priced about $100 less........what to do, what to do? The gun I buy won't see a lot of action and will be babied throughout our relationship, so Browning's warranty isn't particularly a primary concern - just rather get some experienced quality feedback here.

Its been over 20 years since my last hunt/clay fun with a shotgun, I definitely do want to get back into clay -- I grew up with an Ithaca M37 Featherlight 20ga but once I discovered these were now $1000 guns, I stopped right in my tracks.......definitely not in the budget for me just to have fun with.

I don't plan to spend more than $500-$550 since this is going to be primarily a clay gun / home protection - no intentions on hunting with it, but ya never know what can eventually happen if I get the bug to kill again so I haven't ruled that out as an option - but there's zero plan to ever run slugs through this gun.

I've made up my mind on one of these 2 options, but I want some advise to help substantiate which choice is best for the money - Thanks in advance fella's!

BPS. (Also if you order you can get the BPS in synthetic, most shops dont carry them because it is a bronwing and brownings deserve to be seen with their best dress on :D )

Benelli pumps, sound like a tin can full of dry beans rolling down a hill. Just my opinion.

But, if you are dead set on a nova, the shop has one on the used rack if you are interested to go that route. I can get you a price tonight if you would like? i believe it is even camo. PM me a number to a cell and I will send you pics tonight when I get there.

Edited by Beegreenstrings

BPS. (Also if you order you can get the BPS in synthetic, most shops dont carry them because it is a bronwing and brownings deserve to be seen with their best dress on :D )

Benelli pumps, sound like a tin can full of dry beans rolling down a hill. Just my opinion.

But, if you are dead set on a nova, the shop has one on the used rack if you are interested to go that route. I can get you a price tonight if you would like? i believe it is even camo. PM me a number to a cell and I will send you pics tonight when I get there.

I agree with this. Benelli are ok I guess, but I tend to favor the greatest firearm designer in the history of mankind over anything else.

Thanks guys, but I guess I should've elaborated more on what I'm after ( other than just the make/model )

Minimum 26" barrel up to a 30"

Pump action

No tactical outfit, just a good field gun

Prefer black poly ( with woodgrain as 2nd choice ) don't really dig camo

Definitely want a bottem eject

VR barrel, no scopes or reddot

I looked online at the BPS in poly, but assumed it would cost more than the gun already does -- am I wrong? Wood furnitured BPS was $550 (ballparked between Gander and OEoutfitters) where the Benelli was only $499

As a rule of thumb, any poly plastic furniture tends to be the cheaper route than wood. You get into big money with poly when you start requesting specific camo patterns. They may own a right to use said pattersn but they do have to pay for it and they dont eat that cost. They break it down and charge said customer for it.

That is why I go with black. Black goes good with everything. :D

What do you want? 2 3/4 3 3 1/2 or all of the above? And preferred barrel length

2 3/4 comes in 28 inch only

30" barrel comes in 2 3/4 - 3" only

3 1/2 comes in 26 and 28

Edited by Beegreenstrings

Appreciate it, but I'm not dead set on a Benelli - just heard good things about them and really loved the fact that I grabbed both off their display and they fit me great -- Browning has THE name in arms, but if it was going to cost me less to get equal quality/performance from the Nova I'd save the cash and get it instead. The salesman was pushing the Browning moreso than anything else there, but I went in with intentions to strictly windowshop a bit to see what fit me and my wallet. I'll do more research online, but really prefer you guys with handheld experience to edumicate me :D

As a rule of thumb, any poly plastic furniture tends to be the cheaper route than wood. You get into big money with poly when you start requesting specific camo patterns. They may own a right to use said pattersn but they do have to pay for it and they dont eat that cost. They break it down and charge said customer for it.

That is why I go with black. Black goes good with everything. :D

What do you want? 2 3/4 3 3 1/2 or all of the above? And preferred barrel length

2 3/4 comes in 28 inch only

30" barrel comes in 2 3/4 - 3" only

3 1/2 comes in 26 and 28

Not really sure on shell length, but barrel preference would be 28"

What's the most common shell? 3"? Cheap ammo is towards the top of my list, but I want something that will perform well too......wasn't too shotgun saavy as a teen when I was into it, but Dad and I did reload our own ammo......however, he set the reloader up and I just did the work so I've no clue on what we were using so consider me a "novice"

2 3/4 is most common. Hunting loads range between all of them. But remember one thing. Your daddy and your grandpappy hunted everything under the sun with 2 3/4 with no problems. 3's are nice and 3 1/2's destroy geese and turkey but can be done with 2 3/4 as well.

I'd assumed shell length was determined by load/shot content - but for clay work, I could probably get by with 2-3/4" or 3".......can't a 2-3/4" shell be shot thru a 3" chamber? Don't know how much mix and match can be done with a certain chamber length

If you want a bottom eject get the browning because the supernova is a standard side eject. Also the Browning is a lot better gun for similar price range. I choose the Remington 887 over the Supernova and it cost me about $150 less. I think they both shouldered very similar. but I like guns that not everyone and their brother have. Hence the 887. Its worth a look.

I have a rem 887. Once the break in period was over, this is actually a decent shotgun. The very first shot i fired through this 887, I ejected the spent round, but was unable to rack the slide forward. 2 calls to Remington and 3 seperate replacement parts shipments, it has been working out well so far. I have about 100 rounds through this shotgun.

It is now my dedicated turkey hunting gun. It is nice to have the option for the 3 1/2 inch shells for hunting, but not really needed. Also, with the Armorlokt (plastic coating) on the exterior, no concerns when the shotgun is out in the rain.

I would have purchased the Beneli super nova, but I got super great price on the 887, i could not pass up the deal.

Gun season ends Sunday, I think. I didn't even get a tag this year. There may be another short season in December like in previous years. The Browning should be a good gun. I have 2 novas and like them very much, but they do rattle a bit. At the end of the day, my benelli has taken more game than all of my other guns combined.

Remington 870 and 887 crossed my mind as well as the Moss 500, but this is a Christmas gift from my wife so I figured why not splurge a bit more but still keep within budget:D Love picking out my gifts, gets me exactly what I want AND takes any regret off her shoulders;) Win Win!!

Probably go with the Browning with their superior history, the concensus here, and the reviews I'm finding - thanks for all the input fella's!! Definitely appreciate you all and hope to bust clays with some of you next year too!!

Yes... 2 3/4 will go through a 3

i shoot clay all the time. 2-3 times a week.

my progressive presses are set up at 2 3/4 1oz an d 1 1/8oz loads, max dram 7.5 shot

no need for a 3" shooting clay

I'm liking the BPS Stalker version - exactly what I'm after but a 26" and 3" chamber so I have the option of 3" shells if need be, and 26" is still good bbl length too

We already have a couple of those SuperNova things on the wall at the shop. I did not think we did. I believe it was 5ish? I about fell over when I saw it I know that. The used one was a regular nova in real tree camo. It was 3?? 370 I think.

The deal was a Winchester 1400 on the used rach. Beautiful gun, with excellent wood for 249.00, I was biting my tongue all night.