Windows Server 2008 folks, come on in

Casper

So, I have two exactly the same servers. They're VMs, created with the same VM snapshot. They have SQL Server 2008 installed. They both have 32GB C drives, and all data, log, and backup files are on separate disks. The primary is reporting it's out of disk space on C, while the secondary is reporting it has 12GB free. When selecting everything in the root of C (including hidden folders) both report using around 18GB of data. So... what the hell? Why is the primary reporting it is zero disk space left when it doesn't seem to be using it? Why isn't the same thing happening on the secondary? I'm not much of a Windows guy, so I'm pretty stumped.

Mayhaps the mirror isn't set up correctly and it's trying to mirror the database to itself/locally? Do you have a good dbase on the secondary box?

Mirroring is setup correctly and functioning. Even if it wasn't SQL server has been defaulted to mdf's on G, ldf's on H, and bak's on I. No database files on C.

but that would probably show up on the drive space scan. total longshot, but is your pagefile set up as it should? Normally that's a no-brainer, but it's the only thing I could think of that might not show up immediately on a drive space scan.

I think it's something else. Swap file maybe corrupt or something the like. How was the second system created from the snapshot? Was the snapshot of a linked clone? Sounds like something might be a miss with the VM itself and not the OS. More details are obviously needed I think.