EX500 Project

DrewsBrews

haven't used it myself, but my brother who is repairing and painting my plastics is using kitty hair on the cracks and scratches and whatnot.

Also, those bars look unnaturally painful..

Those are just the clip-ons sitting on a table. they're two separate pieces that bolt to the triple tree. So imagine an extra ~12" between those. They just look strange sitting right next to each other.

The the secret to using bars like that is cross your arms lol. Takes a while to get used to ;)

Here's some shots of the split

gedc0353.jpg

gedc0356.jpg

Someone suggested replacing the brake line. I figured that was a good idea on a bike that's getting close to the 20 year mark. Found a guy on ebay who makes sleeved stainless lines to your dimensions for a very respectable price. Based on the color of the old fluid I doubt it was ever changed. Pads still had life left on em, but one was wearing a little more than the other so I re-lubed the slide pins.

gedc0348.jpg

Edited by DrewsBrews

Looks great man! I love mine (chris's old one)

Are you impressed with the delkevics? Ive been.kicking the idea around of getting them for a while..Worth the coin?

Josh, you can ride mine when we inevitibly meet up on one of the NE rides if you'd like

Since installing them I've only idle/reved it, and putted around the storage facility once. These engines have a very nice tone that is totally masked by the factory silencers. Sofar I'm impressed with it. Delkevic's dyno sheet shows slight gain in midrange but a slight loss in top end.

Rode it around a bit on Sunday. Not sure if it's the new grips/weights or the exhaust but low RPM seems smoother. A little concerned by the preload setting on the sv650 shock. It's two notches up, about 1/4" more compression than the minimum. I'd like to see how it is with less. Think a flathead screwdriver and a hammer would be able to rotate it? or would that likely just pop off the nub?

Think a flathead screwdriver and a hammer would be able to rotate it? or would that likely just pop off the nub?

I have seen and heard of people doing this in a pinch when the spanner tool isn't accessable. Not heard of anyone having a problem, but it will put some scratches on the ring. I would imagine you could do it without to much trouble but try at your own risk

A hammer/screwdriver is how most people break them free to turn them in the first place; I've never had a problem.

Remember, try adjusting compression on your shock before the spring (if it has a compression adjustment).

If you do end up adjusting the spring, tighten them down again! (oops...)

Most everything is back on the bike. I've got the seat off since I plan to rework it a bit. My LED dimmer for the mirror signals works with my 13.5v power supply, but not on the bike. The signals also flash normal when the bike is off, but "hyperflash" when the engine is running. Odd since I've got normal wattage bulbs front and rear, the leds just supplement. Will have to troubleshoot.

0107021604.jpg

Inching closer to a "together" looking bike. Been working on repairing the upper fairing this week. Plastifix is pretty neat stuff. Today I bondoed it up then hit it with some primer right as the snow started. The side in the pic is the one that received 90% of the work. I read today that bondo can crack on plastic. Oah well if it does, it does. It shouldn't show under the vinyl quite as badly as paint would.

gedc0357k.jpg

Edited by DrewsBrews

Got the upper wrapped. Then spent the evening in the storage unit hallway today to keep out of the wind.

gedc0369b.jpg

gedc0367.jpg

I suppose it's obvious I've started working on the seat. I'm going for a touring saddle. This was after the basic shaping and test fit. All I have onhand at the moment is a freakin sharp bread knife. will need to find my angle grinder to do the finer shaping.

gedc0365.jpg

gedc0380v.jpg

Edited by DrewsBrews

Thinking of ditching the targa lower and either rocking it half nakey, or picking up a factory one. Any kawi 500 riders interested in a trade?

By this point I'm pretty satisfied, and only have small tweaks to do on the bike.

- After hooking up all the lights I noticed the tail light is always on. 0_o I don't think it was doing that before.

- The extra height provided by the shock has the chain more slack and dragging at the front of the swingarm.

- Reroute the clutch cable because it's binding on the fairing in a turn.

- I think the right hand bar is slightly bent downwards.. I know the fairing is tweaked slightly so that might just make the bar look tweaked instead. need to get another pair of eyes on it... or just measure it from a ref. point I suppose.

- Finish up maintinance: flush coolant, run some seafoam in the tank, change plugs, do the infamous ex500 "FOG mod" to the carbs/airbox, sync the carbs.

• 1 month later...

Getting the odds and ends done. Finally got around to giving the chain some love. Moved to a bigger storage unit closer to the new appt. But I'm mostly trying to get seat time when weather allows. I checked on registration for the BRC last week because I forgot to check earlier. Looks like I'll be trying to walk in.

0218021732.jpg

0220021547edit.jpg