out of gas

Saacattack

My buddy from work did after I showed him how to use the reserve tank. He never knew about the reserve setting so after I showed him he filled up and decided to try out the reserve, so he waited till it sputtered and flipped it. Well he never remembered to flip it back when he filled, so the next time it sputtered he went to flip it and it was already used! Laughed my ass off because he was like a mile from work and I was already there about to clock in. Well he begged and pleaded for me to go get him gas because he claimed he would get fired if he was late again to work, so I ended up late then because of it.

My own time was in my car this april, I had just got my brand new car with an estimated miles to go read out. So I decided to try this thing out because I knew they typically have like a gallon or more left when they say they are completely empty. Well sure enough I am on the highway when I got down to about 30 miles to go and I just passed the last exit for 35 miles. I figured I would have enough to get there because like I said, they always say its empty early. What I didn't realize was that gauge plummets after 35 miles to go in about 8 miles. Spent the next 22 miles on no bars on my gas meter meaning extremely empty! Got to the station on what I thought to be fumes because I thought I could feel the car loosing power but turns out was all in my head because I was thinking I was out of gas because there was still another 40 miles of gas in there!

Edited by JStump

if we stop for gas after 100 miles I'll still top off just so I dont piss myself off or inconvenience the others I'm riding with

Me too, usually grab fuel when everyone else does and I always use one of my trips for fuel and the other for oil services - that way if my fuel gauge fails, I've still got an estimate of how much is left in her;)

I always use one of my trips for fuel and the other for oil services - that way if my fuel gauge fails, I've still got an estimate of how much is left in her;)

same here. Been doing that for 10+ years now in all cars and bikes. Just became a habit because my first 2 cars both had faulty gas gauges from time to time

Me too, usually grab fuel when everyone else does and I always use one of my trips for fuel and the other for oil services - that way if my fuel gauge fails, I've still got an estimate of how much is left in her;)

I would have never thought of doing that

Ran out twice on the Buell Blast.. Both times it died completely while I was on the highway. Both times, I should shake and jiggle the bike (while stopped) and it would fire up for 30-60 seconds at a time... It was enough to get me a mile or two down the highway to the next exit :)

The YZF-600R has a five gallon tank, and I'm lovin' it :)