Turn signal resistors

Jst2fst

I'm trying to put on some led's and and I have no idea what wattage resistor I need to use. I know I need 4 I looked at radio shack and saw some of the little ceramic ones and check around and was told either some 25-50 watt ones would do the job. Is this correct I really don't wanna have to but all sorts just to see whats gonna work out. Thanks

If your bike uses a flasher relay (some have it programmed into the bike's ECM), just pull out the flasher & see if it is a 2 or 3 prong flasher. Take it to Autozone and get a new one that says it's led compatible (they're in the same isle as the replacement bulbs). I just did that for my daughter's Buell & it works fine & only cost like $15.

check the resistance of the stock bulbs using a multimeter... then use a resistor with that value for each?

ding!

If you do end up going with a ceramic resistor, make sure that puppy isn't touching anything fragile like other wires. They will put out some heat, especially if you forget to turn your turn-signals off like I do sometimes.

If your bike uses a flasher relay (some have it programmed into the bike's ECM), just pull out the flasher & see if it is a 2 or 3 prong flasher. Take it to Autozone and get a new one that says it's led compatible (they're in the same isle as the replacement bulbs). I just did that for my daughter's Buell & it works fine & only cost like $15.

Yeah, this will work, too... these flashers use a IC timer instead of a current (heat, pop, reset) timer for the flash cycle.

When I wired up my turn signals in the dune buggy, (all LED) I used one of those strobe controllers to control the flash speed. It's pretty cool cause it's adjustable on the fly, and I can switch from single to triple flash...

I suppose I could've programmed my own timer, too using a pic microcontroller...

or built a wigwag using a couple capacitors and a couple resistors. But that seemed like a lot of work.

Edited by magley64

ding!

If you do end up going with a ceramic resistor, make sure that puppy isn't touching anything fragile like other wires. They will put out some heat, especially if you forget to turn your turn-signals off like I do sometimes.

Good to know

I'll look at it when I get home