Timney or rifle basix?

speedytriple

Depends on what you want. First, you can check to see if you can lighten the existing trigger. For a hunting rifle, you dont want to go below about 2.5lbs. Timney, Rifle Basix, Jewell etc, all make good triggers. Out of the 3 listed, I would first check and see about lightening the existing trigger which im sure can be done. After that and for your usage, Check out the Timney 510. Triggers are not that hard to adjust, as long as you pay attention and dont make it unsafe.

Edited by flounder

If its stevens, then I'm assuming its actually a Savage action. So in theory, anything that fits a savage will work. I have a rifle basix on my rem700 set to 2.5lbs and am very happy with it. Timney is generally considered the better of the two.

I'm not one for sub 2.5 lbs triggers on hunting or LR target guns. I just don't feel its necessary. I've done .2 MOA groups with my .308 with the shitty factory trigger at roughly 4.5 lbs. FWIW, when I shot pistol competitively my heaviest trigger was 2.2 lbs and the lightest was ~50-75 grams (yes grams).

I have taken the factory trigger out as far as it will go. From what I have read online this should get me just under 4 pounds. It the creep and harsh break I don't like. I thought about stoning the seer and hammer to try to get it smoother. I have done this to my. 22 rifle with good results. But may just drop something into this one and be done. I have seen the rifle basix for around $80 and might go with it. Thanks guys.