99 Camping Tips

Casper

OK, the dude making the cardboard stove obviously has kids--snotty nosed ones at that--but there's NO WAY he's still married. If I was doing that shit in my wife's kitchen, pouring melted wax over her granite countertops, it'd be my ballz that were boiling in the tin cup, not water! :eek:

More helpful tips....

If you need to bathe, and your only local resource is a nearby creek or river; ensure no one is upstream taking a shit or a sprinkle.

A fish stringer works as a leash to easily retrieve a 6pk of unopened drinks chilling in a creek/river.

Charcloth, flint, and steel are your best friends once you run out of matches or lighters - usually best to keep some tender (thin, dry, grass and small leaves) inside the tent so it stays dry overnight making an easier fire start in the morning.

The colder it is outside, the less you should wear inside of your sleeping bag - once you start sweating its difficult to get warm again.

Bat guano is rich in fiber AND it hides old pesky underwear stains (I cannot validate this particular camping tip, found it in Readers Digest.....so it has to be true:D)

Edited by Hellmutt

• 2 weeks later...

I have been browsing the boondocking or "dispersed camping" websites. Basic reasoning is that primitive camping on most federal park land, and some state park land, is either completely free or very low cost.

Also searching for the appropriate sleeping bag, mat, and tent or tarp to fit up to a bike. Finding good gear that packs up small isn't easy. Or isn't easy to pick one from all the choices.

I do see that all three should be strapped down on top of everything else. More or less the first items off when stopping for the night. They should be packed in good quality water proof or water resistant stuff bags.

edit: compass, map, gps, first aid gear

Edited by ReconRat