Mitt's record on guns

kawi kid

Come on cg2112, what's you're comeback? Still think he's not anti-gun?

I asked a specific question. What has the Obama Administration done to restrict gun rights? That question has still gone unanswered. I didn't ask what the President himself believes, or what people think he perhaps might perchance maybe possibly do.

The suggestion was made that in terms of gun control, Mitt Romney would be a better choice than Barack Obama. So, to determine whether or not this is true, I'd like to know what it is that the Obama Administration has done to curtail gun rights.

I asked a specific question. What has the Obama Administration done to restrict gun rights? That question has still gone unanswered. I didn't ask what the President himself believes, or what people think he perhaps might perchance maybe possibly do.

The suggestion was made that in terms of gun control, Mitt Romney would be a better choice than Barack Obama. So, to determine whether or not this is true, I'd like to know what it is that the Obama Administration has done to curtail gun rights.

Your question was what has he tried to to, not what he has done. Post #4.

What has the Obama Administration done to try to harm gun ownership rights?

Your first post in the thread, btw. Him supporting the gun treaty is trying to restrict gun rights.

Edited by chevysoldier
  • Upvote 1

I stated I don't support.Romney. But here is a link to prove my point.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/2011/07/07/obama-unveil-gun-control-reforms_n_892633.html

I give facts but they are ignored?

I give facts but they are ignored?

The first link is says that the Obama Administration will unveil reforms. It doesn't say what those reforms are, but does suggest that they will involve enforcement of laws that are already on the books.

The second link talks about what Congress might do. It calls the treaty "Obama backed," but that's not accurate - the President has no power or control over international treaties. He may think one is a good idea, or another is a bad idea, but this is a specific power of Congress, the Obama Administration has no Constitutional ability to make a treaty with another nation.

http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/constitution/7322-former-un-ambassador-obama-will-target-gun-ownership-in-second-term

Ambassador Bolton:

We can understand that, as he likes to say, he’s playing the long game, and that "leading from behind" means waiting until he’s elected to a second term when he faces no further political constraints and his true agenda can come to the floor. And I believe right at the top of it is [to] increase gun control at the federal level and at the international level.

http://www.rawstory.com/rawreplay/2011/09/nra-claims-massive-obama-conspiracy-not-to-ban-guns/

“But it’s a big fat stinking lie!” the NRA leader exclaimed. “It’s all part of a massive Obama conspiracy to deceive voters and destroy the Second Amendment in our country.”

“Obama himself is no fool. So when he got elected, they concocted a scheme to stay away from the gun issue, lull gun owners to sleep and play us for fools in 2012. Well, gun owners are not fools and we are not fooled,” La Pierre declared.

• Upvote 1

Backing gun control treaties that will effect the people of this nation is doing something.

Doing what, though?

Which parts of the treaty do you find objectionable? Which parts of the treaty will affect the people of this nation?

:facepalm:

That's kind of what I figured.

There is no treaty as of yet. There is nothing to find objectionable, because there is, quite literally, no treaty. Just an agreement to meet this summer to discuss a treaty.

That's right. Nothing to see here. Just a scheduled meeting to discuss restriction of gun rights. No actual restrictions' date=' though. We'll deal with that after it happens.. because we're all dumb and like to do shit the hard way.[/quote']

There is no meeting scheduled to discuss restriction of gun rights. But as long as we aren't jumping to conclusion without having any facts...

Is there an agreement to schedule a meeting with the UN?

Yes, there is. To discuss a firearms treaty.

Thus far, there has been nothing (aside from speculation from the right) that indicates that this would be a treaty that infringes on our 2nd Amendment rights. In fact, the resolution passed to have this meeting recognizes the right of all nations to their own firearm policies inside their own borders.

Beyond speculation, there is really nothing to indicate that such a treaty would impact our rights as Americans. It might impact your ability to sell a firearm to some guy in Libya, but that's hardly a right, anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe I got this wrong from my HS US history class (I got some really good sleep in there) but I thought the prez signed treaties and the Senate ratified.