ContourGPS or ContourROAM

Saacattack

So I already have a GoPro and I'm looking to get another camera. The video's I've seen with the Contours seem nice(to me at least in terms of quality and such).

I get a discount on the Contours which is why I'm deciding to go that route.

Is having the GPS worth it? knowing how fast i'm going and elevation and stuff? or Should I keep it simple and get the ROAM, having 170 wide angle and 1080p same as the gps. It also has bluetooth enabled...which I know I would never use. Then of course, what comes in the box is different too. Which I don't mind buying the extra stuff since i'll get a discount on that too.

Anyone use either one or if you had to choose which would you go with?

I briefly summed the difference between them, but I still put the info below too so you guys can see.

Contour ROAM

34zzggk.jpg

Anywhere, Anytime

The ContourROAM is the ideal camera for a fun and easy experience capturing your adventures anywhere life takes you. Just slide the Instant On-Record Switch and you're instantly filming beautiful HD video. The award-winning design is tough, compact, waterproof to one meter, and versatile which means you can use your Contour anywhere, anytime.

Record up to 8 hours of 1080p video (up to 12 hours of 720p video) on a 32GB MicroSD card, then use the free Contour Storyteller App to easily transfer and share your videos with your friends and the contour.com community.

Beautiful HD Video

The ContourROAM records the action with a 170° super wide-angle lens, capturing all the backgrounds and peripheral moments that can be missed with a narrower field of view. Sophisticated camera technology automatically adjusts the exposure and white balance, ensuring crisp, beautiful HD video every time.

We provide several different camera settings so that you can get the shot that best fits your activity. Choose between 3 resolutions, or a still photo mode.

• Full HD 1080p (1920 x 1080 @ 30 fps). To capture those awesome moments in the highest resolution available.
  • Tall HD 960p (1280 x 960 @ 30fps) for those sports like surfing that are better suited to a taller image.
  • Contour 720p (1280 x 720 @30 fps). When space on your card is at a premium and you need to record that last epic adventure. This setting takes it easy on your memory.
  • Still Photo. When you want to freeze frame the action, the still photo is your perfect shot. You can pick from 6 rates (1, 3, 5, 10, 30 or 60 sec) to best capture that moment.
    Waterproof
    No need to worry about your camera surviving your next big water adventure, the ContourROAM is waterproof to one meter. A sealed gasket protects the camera's insides, allowing you to catch the action under water or in the rain, sleet, or snow. For full submersion sports, such as scuba diving or wakeboarding the ContourROAM Waterproof Case provides total dryness up to 60 meters beneath the surface.
    Clear Audio
    The video is only part of the story. Contour's built-in, multi-direction microphone captures the ambient audio that underscores all the action.
    Software
    Our free, custom Storyteller App easily downloads and helps you assemble your video footage via Mac or PC.
    Community
    Once you've got the story or segment assembled, we provide a community for sharing your video through contour.com, and sites such as Facebook, Twitter or other user-based communities.
    What's in the Box?
    • Rotating Flat Surface Mount
    • Profile Mount
    • USB Cable

ConTourGPS

fph1z.jpg

Track Your Story

Add an entire new layer to your storytelling. The built-in GPS receiver tracks your location multiple times per second so you are able to capture your location, speed, and elevation while recording in beautiful hands-free HD.

Make your video come to life with the Contour software. Watch your run via interactive map and video player that allows you to see and control the action. Challenge and compare stats with your friends to see who measures up.

Hands Free

The Contour HD revolutionized the way people shoot and share video by creating the first hands-free HD video camera. Its secret is the low profile design mated to the patented TRail™ system that makes it easy to slide and lock to your body, equipment, or vehicle.

The ContourGPS camera, at only 5.2 ounces is the smallest and lightest combination of hands-free video and GPS in the world that practically disappears while wearing it. The anodized aluminum body is built tough to take all your outdoors abuse and is rated water resistant so you can be assured you won't short circuit your adventure.

Easy to operate and use. Its as simple as sliding a single, glove-friendly switch forward to record and backwards to stop. In addition, the ContourGPS has a rotating lens and two lasers to line up your next perfect shot.

Beautiful HD Video

The ContourGPS captures beautiful 1080p video. It utilizes a 135° wide-angle rotating lens that delivers a true high quality image that captures all the action with minimal distortion and no fish-eye. It records Full HD in all its glory.

We provide several different camera settings so that you can get the shot that best fits your activity. Choose between 3 resolutions, 2 frame rates, or a still photo mode.

• Full HD 1080p (1920 x 1080 @ 30 fps). To capture those awesome moments in the highest resolution available.
  • Tall HD 960p (1280 x 960 @ 30fps). For those sports like surfing that are better suited to a taller image
  • Action HD 720p (1280 x 720 @ 60 fps). When frame rate is more important than resolution. The perfect setting to capture the fastest action. It reduces blur and rolling shutter effect.
  • Contour 720p (1280 x 720 @30 fps). When space on your card is at a premium and you need to record that last epic adventure. This setting takes it easy on your memory.
  • Still Photo. When you want to freeze frame the action, the photo mode is your perfect shot. You can pick from 5 rates (3, 5, 10, 30 or 60 sec) to best capture that moment.

Audio

Developed by a real rocket scientist, the built-in omni-directional microphone captures the rich sounds of the ride while keeping the wind noise to a minimum. Using AAC Audio Compression, the front facing microphone assures you that you will hear every whisper or scream.

Storage

The compact and lightweight design principle was carried throughout every detail of the ContourGPS. The locking back door keeps the internal MicroSD card safe so that it can capture hours of HD video content. When expanded up to 32 GB, it will record up to 8 hours of 1080p video content onto one card.

Software

We provide a simple to us Storyteller application to download the videos from your camera to your computer in just a few clicks. Editing is as simple as an Awesome button to feature the best parts of your story, then you can become the ultimate producer by adding a title, description, and tags. Watch your run on the interactive map that lets you see and control the action as it happens.

Community

You provide the story, we give you the platform to tell thousands of members just like you. Challenge your friends to see who can log the most altitude in one day, or see who has the best run on your favorite mountain. When you want to share it to more than your closest buddies on contour.com, make it easy to share to all of your favorite social media sites

What's in the Box?

• 2GB MicroSD Card
  • 2 Rotating Flat Surface Mounts
  • Goggle Strap Mount
  • Rechargeable Battery
  • USB Cable

If you get the gps one, there is software out there to show you speeds. If you end up using it at the track this could show you where you need to work on. Plus you can over lay the track, speed, and video so you know exactly where you are. May want to leave the speed part off for the street though so you don't get in too much trouble.

• 4 weeks later...
So what does one of these fancy picture machines cost?

Roam about $200

GPS about $300

1080 around $450

I have a Roam, the image is very good but audio sucks. I like using it as a rear view camera since my good POV camera has a cord. My review of the roam and associated video software provided by contour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txYOwY64s6A

Edited by buildit

well that audio blew haha. Buildit, have you heard anything about audio and such on the gps or 1080?

I have heard there are similar issues with all three. It seems Contour concentrated their efforts on the video quality over audio. Of the three the roam is the best deal for just having a point and shoot video camera. The drift seems to be far superior but then it cost more and seems to have fewer mounting options too.

I'm still waiting for a POV camera with ALL the following:

1. waterproof

2. external viewing screen which does not effect #1 so that you can aim the camera and review footage on the fly

3. uses standard batteries

4. no fish bowl lens, I've never caught extra footage I wasn't looking at because the camera had a 140 degree angle. I think most like the fisheye because it makes the video look like they are going faster.

5. external audio cord so it can be placed inside the helmet for on the fly comments or in a wind protected location for better engine noise pickup.

6. faster response lens iris that can compensate for rapidly changing light like you get while driving thru trees in the summer.

The technology is out there! A simple Nikon camera can take better video than any POV camera and compensates for changing light faster while using AA batteries. There are also cameras that are waterproof to 30 feet under water, not just the roams 1 meter. I like the VIO POV because it has a lot of the features listed above, but the newest version has serious fish eye lenses with NO option to reduce the angle or change the camera head like the old VIO camera. The old VIO is limited to a 2 GB SD card and only takes about 80 min of video. Why Cannon, Nikon or some other big name manufacturer hasn't entered the POV game is beyond me. Their technology would simply make everything out now look like china bike technology. :lol:

Edited by buildit